"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

We still can what day are you on? :)

Day 9. I candled Monday night and had one clear with a fractured shell I didn't notice before. I left it in, just in case. The other 11 were doing stuff! It's hard for me to say how good or bad or weak or strong anything appeared. Some had well-defined black spots and some were a little fuzzy. If it had veins I kept it. And I made an interesting observation!

This is my set up. I noticed that the eggs on the inside (against the wall, under the cabinet) had more consistent weight loss and development than the other side. I'm guessing it's because of the more stable external temps? A chicken friend mentioned lighting, which I had not previously considered.

Anyone want to chime in?
(This time I did mean this information for you, Cody. :lau )

This is very good to know.  I'm going to be getting Lavender Australorps from JennieRD soon so I'll know.  My slackers have really changed their shape in the last couple of weeks so I'm pumped about that.  

Woohoo,  my first baby popped out about an hour ago.     Yellow with darker undertones.  I think this one is a Basque.  Hope I didn't screw  up.  I opened for a couple of inches to free him when he was trapped.  Humidity was 85% so at the same time I got out the wet papertowel.  Whatcha think?  Too new to know if I screwed up or not.  Definitely didn't follow instructions of NEVER OPEN.  

Do you have a foam or cabinet bator? I'm a little concerned with how I'm going to keep the eggs at the same height when I take out the turner. Maybe put the screen on top of the turner? And a paper towel over that? I think I read that some does that... Also, I haven't been enable to find liners? I can't remember who suggested them.

This is very good to know.  I'm going to be getting Lavender Australorps from JennieRD soon so I'll know.  My slackers have really changed their shape in the last couple of weeks so I'm pumped about that.  

Woohoo,  my first baby popped out about an hour ago.     Yellow with darker undertones.  I think this one is a Basque.  Hope I didn't screw  up.  I opened for a couple of inches to free him when he was trapped.  Humidity was 85% so at the same time I got out the wet papertowel.  Whatcha think?  Too new to know if I screwed up or not.  Definitely didn't follow instructions of NEVER OPEN.  

I've opened during lock down to add water and once to help a chick out of the shell. The hen gets up to use the ladies room. :lau or to grab a bite to eat. So a quick in and out doesn't hurt them. Pam

Do you have a foam or cabinet bator? I'm a little concerned with how I'm going to keep the eggs at the same height when I take out the turner. Maybe put the screen on top of the turner? And a paper towel over that? I think I read that some does that... Also, I haven't been enable to find liners? I can't remember who suggested them.

Me and I saw them last night when I was looking for shipping supplies I think it was a mcmurry but I looked at a lot. I'll find it again and let you know. Pam

Day 9. I candled Monday night and had one clear with a fractured shell I didn't notice before. I left it in, just in case. The other 11 were doing stuff! It's hard for me to say how good or bad or weak or strong anything appeared. Some had well-defined black spots and some were a little fuzzy. If it had veins I kept it. And I made an interesting observation!

This is my set up. I noticed that the eggs on the inside (against the wall, under the cabinet) had more consistent weight loss and development than the other side. I'm guessing it's because of the more stable external temps? A chicken friend mentioned lighting, which I had not previously considered.

Anyone want to chime in?
(This time I did mean this information for you, Cody. :lau )

This time I moved mine Round my bator plus turned the opposite direction of the turner twice a day. We will see if I get a better hatch. Pam

Number two is zipping right now. I didn't do anything but take the turner out and put the eggs in a paper egg carton with dime size holes cut out of the bottom. I put paper towels down on top of the screen and they are fine. I've never done anything else. I followed instructions from other threads and it works for me. Don't worry about anything pertaining to the temps or heights. The egg carton is enough. Of course this is my 6th hatch and 2 were fabulous. The rest were scrambled or not fertile. Two hatches had Nada. The other two had two babies each and the rest of the eggs scrambled. THIS is the reason I'll never get eggs far away and not know anything about the seller or packing methods. I paid an extra $8 to have one of the foam inserts shipped to her. So shipping was right at $24. So worth it when you consider I've spent bunches of money for eggs. I think after I get the Lav Australorps I'm going to stop. I can't justify spending more time on any but these and my White Rocks. But we'll see how these babies turn out. Never say never.
lau.gif

Edited for Pam:
I've not seen anything on this about the thingy you are talking about from McMurry.
pop.gif

Last edited:
Number two is zipping right now.  I didn't do anything but take the turner out and put the eggs in a paper egg carton with dime size holes cut out of the bottom.  I put paper towels down on top of the screen and they are fine.  I've never done anything else.  I followed instructions from other threads and it works for me.  Don't worry about anything pertaining to the temps or heights.  The egg carton is enough.  Of course this is my 6th hatch and 2 were fabulous.  The rest were scrambled or not fertile.  Two hatches had Nada.  The other two had two babies each and the rest of the eggs scrambled.  THIS is the reason I'll never get eggs far away and not know anything about the seller or packing methods.  I paid an extra $8 to have one of the foam inserts shipped to her.  So shipping was right at $24.  So worth it when you consider I've spent bunches of money for eggs.  I think after I get the Lav Australorps I'm going to stop.  I can't justify spending more time on any but these and my White Rocks.  But we'll see how these babies turn out.  Never say never.   :lau

thought you were going to sell chickens. Pam

Back
Top Bottom