"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

I posted a pic last week of bloody vent feathers, then when I did my exam I was so embarrassed at the cause that I got rid of the post. No one mentioned it, so I guess y'all missed out on my latest round of gross chickens pics. I didn't know it was a rite of passage!

Hope everybody stays safe in the freeze! I ran home at lunch; changed clothes & hustled out to fill up all the waterers & 4 extra large containers of water, as my little water line out at the barn will most likely freeze up. Laid in extra feed. Covered the water line & faucet. Jim & my Dad picked all the lemons yesterday - some of them are still on the green side - unheard of! this tree is about 20 years old & we have never left lemons on it this late before! Now I can freeze lemon "ice cubes" for all year long. I guess we're as ready as we can get for this winter weather.

We did the same my kitchen is packed with navel oranges and Meyers lemons. Just gave extra food an filled all waterers . Pam

Last edited:
Well I received the Bielefelder eggs today. Perfect timing weather-wise because it's supposed to get down into the teens tonight. The ones in front came from coastline poultry in N.C. I ordered 40, she sent a few extras and some pullet eggs from one that just started laying. The air cells were saddle shaped and some looked pretty rough. Some of the eggs I couldn't tell what was going on in them. One egg was cracked out of 48. Overall I think they are in typical shape shipped eggs will be in. The eggs in the back section are from Pam. I think they were handled a bit rough as the box had a dent on a corner. The air cells were badly distorted. The lighter colored eggs are Legbars that Pam through in as extras. One of them had a rolling air sac and it looked like the yoke was damaged. I don't have high hopes for this hatch but we'll see what happens. :) My plan is to let the eggs rest for about 12 hrs because some of the eggs from N.C. are about 7 days old already. Put them in the incubator tonight with turner off. Wait 48 hrs and check the air cells. Then after that I'm not sure??? :)
I would start them all unless your 100% sure they are a lost cause. I'm not the best candeler. I find with the Legbars all I can see is the air cell and nothing else. In my last hatch five hatched. I find the same with the bieles. Yet to see how many hatch. The light cream or brown ones are the only ones I was able to see viening in so far. I don't have a candeler so that might do a better job than my really bright led flash light. I'll cross my fingers and hope for the best. Pam

Last edited:
Most definitely Pam :) I'm setting them all. I super-glued the cracked egg that came from N.C. At least give it a try.

I don't have the experience to know whether they're good or not.

Thank you again for sending them. I've got my fingers crossed also. :)

So EGGciting!
big_smile.png

I wish I had waited so we could have had our own little chicken newbie hatch-a-long.

We still can what day are you on? :)

I shut the coop door and put a tarp over my coop for the night. I will open the coop up at 9 am tomorrow when the sun is out and the temps should start rising. The windchill advisory is from 12am to 9am.

Lemon, thank you for the offer. Could I take 3 for $10. That would be the same price and you get to keep more. Win win, lol.

It would be luck of the draw with sexes?

Update to by hen i found dead.

After my post I went back outside to clean my coop. I noticed that the chicken that I had thought died, had not. My neighbor sent me a txt about the dead hen and told me it had a yellow ban around its leg. Turns out, it did not. I never double checked. So the hen that died was one of my older hens that was about eight. I still have my three younger Barred Rocks. The one that died was at the top of the pecking order. We will see who the new queen will be?

Last edited:
Bahahaha    Nothing is sacred in the chicken business!!!!!   All out there for show and tell.  How can we learn otherwise?   Still waiting on my slackers.  Only one little super blue egg layer giving me small eggs.  5 of them now.   The other six pullets.  Nada.   
I got my smart phone now just have to learn to run the darn thing and be able to download pictures. 

Day 20 and hearing cheeps.  8 Marradunna Basques and 3 Lemon Cukoo Orpingtons.   I hope, I hope, I hope.   :gig

Have you fired up that phone yet I want pictures. I must be a day behind you I am in lock down. Any one remember what humidity Terri does for dry hatch lock down? Pam

I shut the coop door and put a tarp over my coop for the night. I will open the coop up at 9 am tomorrow when the sun is out and the temps should start rising. The windchill advisory is from 12am to 9am. 

Lemon, thank you for the offer. Could I take 3 for $10. That would be the same price and you get to keep more. Win win, lol. 

It would be luck of the draw with sexes?

Update to by hen i found dead.

After my post I went back outside to clean my coop. I noticed that the chicken that I had thought died, had not. My neighbor sent me a txt about the dead hen and told me it had a yellow ban around its leg. Turns out, it did not. I never double checked. So the hen that died was one of my older hens that was about eight. I still have my three younger Barred Rocks. The one that died was at the top of the pecking order. We will see who the new queen will be?

Ricrow did say the fee is $60.00 for LSU should you want to know in the future. Pam

I know australorps will take the full 6 months. I have 2 half FBCM they just started at 7 1/2 months. Your other breeds I'm not familier with.
The ones that stopped could just be taking a winter break. I can tell when mine are ready to lay their body changes from poullet shape to hen shape plus the combs turn dark red too.
This is very good to know. I'm going to be getting Lavender Australorps from JennieRD soon so I'll know. My slackers have really changed their shape in the last couple of weeks so I'm pumped about that.

Woohoo, my first baby popped out about an hour ago. Yellow with darker undertones. I think this one is a Basque. Hope I didn't screw up. I opened for a couple of inches to free him when he was trapped. Humidity was 85% so at the same time I got out the wet papertowel. Whatcha think? Too new to know if I screwed up or not. Definitely didn't follow instructions of NEVER OPEN.

Back
Top Bottom