"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Thanks Pam, that's awesome! I'll have to check it out. I saw some recently about an hour from me. $20 for a day-old chick, straight run, so I politely declined.
lau.gif

I've checked and rechecked the yard for hidden nests, and I do head counts constantly (from the doors/windows). I haven't found anything yet, but it's a secret fear. And at the risk of being too vulgar, when I dusted them the other day I noticed some changes in vent appearance. The pullets are still not quite as heavy as the hens, though, if that means anything.

In case y'all haven't noticed, I'm not good at waiting patiently. 13 days on eggs in the bator, and no timeline on eggs in the yard.
hmm.png

Vulgar????? I daresay that my hens think their derrière is fancy!
lau.gif
lau.gif
And they are proud of those "big girl" changes! Hahaha! My youngest will grab up a hen, feel her pelvic bones and move feathers to see if that vent is wider than the previous time she checked it. She is not ashamed.

And I do believe a few hundred pages back there were some close up booty shots posted for everyones close inspections. For diagnostic purposes of course
wink.png
lau.gif

http://instagram.com/p/xc0VOJE8Bh/

Interesting design, I thought. May try to built a few of these for my garden. I'm not totally sure where to put it, but I guess I have a little time yet. There's a wild and crazy climbing rose on the north side of the house that I'm thinking about cutting back and digging up, then replanting near the other rose on the edge of the coop.

Thanks Pam, that's awesome! I'll have to check it out. I saw some recently about an hour from me. $20 for a day-old chick, straight run, so I politely declined. :lau

I've checked and rechecked the yard for hidden nests, and I do head counts constantly (from the doors/windows). I haven't found anything yet, but it's a secret fear. And at the risk of being too vulgar, when I dusted them the other day I noticed some changes in vent appearance. The pullets are still not quite as heavy as the hens, though, if that means anything.

In case y'all haven't noticed, I'm not good at waiting patiently. 13 days on eggs in the bator, and no timeline on eggs in the yard. :/

I thouht you were talking about hens that laid and stopped not new layers. How old are they and what breed?Pam

Vulgar?????  I daresay that my hens think their derrière is fancy!  :lau :lau   And they are proud of those "big girl" changes!  Hahaha!  My youngest will grab up a hen, feel her pelvic bones and move feathers to see if that vent is wider than the previous time she checked it.  She is not ashamed. 

And I do believe a few hundred pages back there were some close up booty shots posted for everyones close inspections. For diagnostic purposes of course ;) :lau

Haha, awesome. Glad to know I'm in good company. :D :D

Vulgar?????  I daresay that my hens think their derrière is fancy!  :lau :lau   And they are proud of those "big girl" changes!  Hahaha!  My youngest will grab up a hen, feel her pelvic bones and move feathers to see if that vent is wider than the previous time she checked it.  She is not ashamed. 

And I do believe a few hundred pages back there were some close up booty shots posted for everyones close inspections. For diagnostic purposes of course ;) :lau

:lau Thats funny that was primroses hen she said weren't laying. I said they had to be hiding them. The vent showed yolk on it. LMAO! Pam

I thouht you were talking about hens that laid and stopped not new layers. How old are they and what breed?Pam

I forgot who I was talking about. Oops. :oops:
I am just ready for eggs from everyone.

Ok, but here they are:
4 white mystery hens of mystery age, laid every day until they stopped.
3 SS hens around 1 year; got three eggs from one, and that was it. Maybe that's why they were so cheap...? Hmmm....
2 australorp mixes, one definitely mixed and one maybe true. I've had them since August, and they were mostly feathered, with downy heads. 4-6 weeks then? So maybe six months now?
1 SS pullet, no clue on age. Older than the australorps maybe? She was bigger than them when we got her.
1 FBCM, same age as SS pullet?
2 orpington mixes, younger (or less mature?) than everyone else.

I forgot who I was talking about. Oops. :oops:
I am just ready for eggs from everyone.

Ok, but here they are:
4 white mystery hens of mystery age, laid every day until they stopped.
3 SS hens around 1 year; got three eggs from one, and that was it. Maybe that's why they were so cheap...? Hmmm....
2 australorp mixes, one definitely mixed and one maybe true. I've had them since August, and they were mostly feathered, with downy heads. 4-6 weeks then? So maybe six months now?
1 SS pullet, no clue on age. Older than the australorps maybe? She was bigger than them when we got her.
1 FBCM, same age as SS pullet?
2 orpington mixes, younger (or less mature?) than everyone else.

I know australorps will take the full 6 months. I have 2 half FBCM they just started at 7 1/2 months. Your other breeds I'm not familier with.
The ones that stopped could just be taking a winter break. I can tell when mine are ready to lay their body changes from poullet shape to hen shape plus the combs turn dark red too.

I know australorps will take the full 6 months. I have 2 half FBCM they just started at 7 1/2 months. Your other breeds I'm not familier with.
The ones that stopped could just be taking a winter break. I can tell when mine are ready to lay their body changes from poullet shape to hen shape plus the combs turn dark red too.

I'm excited for this Blue Copper Marans hen to get bigger. I can't wait to see what her and this olive egger turn out to look like. The olive egger is a Blue Splash. Beautiful and a Diva already.

That makes sense. My SS pullet has changed her shape and now I have to identify her by markings when she's with the other hens. The mixed pullet has a very red comb. These pics are from before Christmas:

Australorp mixed pullet and FBCM pullet:

Mixed pullet in the background, true (?) australorp pullet and sussex pullet.

I guess by spring they'll all be ready! :highfive:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom