"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Morning La-yers! where is everybody? Slow day at work - wishing I were home getting some REAL work accomplished! Need to spray the citrus trees w/copper for the year - they are fixing to bud out. Grumbling about the rain moving in just in time to mess up the weekend! Maybe I'll beg for Monday off....

I'm pretty new to citrus. Something is eating the heck out of one of my trees - I found what looks to be caterpillar eggs but I'm not really sure. Any ideas? Why are you spraying with copper? Do you have problems with fungal disease?

Yay! Been out of town, but I got some Marraduna Basque eggs that just hatch! Of the shipped eggs (9) 7 were fertile and 6 hatched! I'll post some pictures when i get home. :ya

Congrats on your hatch! I love my Basque!

Just so you know, rehab is not the easy going recoup I thought it was. Working hard and making good results.

I hope you get back to your normal very quickly!

I'm pretty new to citrus. Something is eating the heck out of one of my trees - I found what looks to be caterpillar eggs but I'm not really sure. Any ideas? Why are you spraying with copper? Do you have problems with fungal disease?
Congrats on your hatch! I love my Basque!
I hope you get back to your normal very quickly!

Take a pic & post it -- it very well could be. The black swallowtail butterfly likes to lay eggs on citrus -- the larvae are just hideous -looking! they are called 'brown dog caterpillars' - google for pics - scared me to death first time I saw them -- plus they eat the heck out of the leaves. I removed ours & put them in a gallon jar with some short branches I cut until they spinned into the pupalis & hatched - it was neat to watch.

I had a problem last year -- the cold weather caused heavy scarring on the fruit -- did not affect the taste but was so ugly -- to combat that you want to spray with copper right when they start to bud out so I'm trying that this year to see if it works.

A few pics from the week:

How do y'all quarantine chicks? Or do you? I seem to remember it's not necessary, but I can't find anything either way.

I picked up 8 chicks an hour ago from the lady in Dry Creek. I took a giant tote and divided it in half with hardware cloth and cardboard (was only supposed to get 4) and have my chicks on one side and the new chicks on the other.

Back
Top Bottom