"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

SIL Clint shop a copperhead for me in the coop yesterday..   I was lifting the nesting box that was sideways and notice him under it.   Moving fast away from him.   :lau   He must have only wanted the eggs because he was happy and still the whole time.    it did a number on both coops because no  eggs today from either.   Can't blame them.  I was scared spitless myself.  I don't like firearms but Clint was lice enough to take him off for me.    

I have a suprize for you. Hope they make it to adult hood. Lavender Wyandotte. Pam

Couple died in transit some had pasty butt, and a few splayed legs. I'll be getting some replacements or partial refund. They said its from ruff handeling in transit. Pam

I took advantage of the sunshine and let the big babies stretch their wings. I'm ready for them to move to the tractor! That's for sure.

This little sussex has such lovely dark feathers coming in. That's the Petrus sussex chick behind him. I'm hoping the smaller chick darkens up a little, otherwise I can definitely see a difference in the hatchery stock.

Well I set up 2 broody hens with eggs today. Pure Cochin. White frizzled hens, Black smooth hens and Black smooth cock. A bakers dozen. Going to keep collecting as I have put one of the young Red Cocks in that pen as well. I am SURE that it will be awhile before that older cock would let him breed a hen. If it doesn't look like he is going to be allowed at all I will have to remove that older black cock for awhile to give the younger red guy a chance to give us some red/black cross chicks like we want. I am CERTAIN that this is going to improve the reds type since I have already seen what the black cocks genetics can do when crossed with the white frizzled hens that are nice, but not show quality.

I am really sure that my "chicken" kid and I are completely in need of a mentor when it comes to the Silver Duckwing Old English Game Bantams. We are reading and trying to learn. Be observant of the development of each oegb chick..........but really we are babies when it comes to them. We have SO much to learn.

I had a funny experience the other day. I got a chicken "hug" from one of my Malay/EE cross cockerels. Literally, hug. So cute! Now a few days later they are feeling much more confident and not in need of "hugs" Hahaha!

Well I set up 2 broody hens with eggs today.  Pure Cochin.  White frizzled hens, Black smooth hens and Black smooth cock.  A bakers dozen.  Going to keep collecting as I have put one of the young Red Cocks in that pen as well.  I am SURE that it will be awhile before that older cock would let him breed a hen.  If it doesn't look like he is going to be allowed at all I will have to remove that older black cock for awhile to give the younger red guy a chance to give us some red/black cross chicks like we want.  I am CERTAIN that this is going to improve the reds type since I have already seen what the black cocks genetics can do when crossed with the white frizzled hens that are nice, but not show quality. 

I am really sure that my "chicken" kid and I are completely in need of a mentor when it comes to the Silver Duckwing Old English Game Bantams.  We are reading and trying to learn.  Be observant of the development of each oegb chick..........but really we are babies when it comes to them.  We have SO much to learn. 

I had a funny experience the other day.  I got a chicken "hug" from one of my Malay/EE cross cockerels.  Literally, hug.  So cute!  Now a few days later they are feeling much more confident and not in need of "hugs"  Hahaha!

Speaking of crosses I have 3 roo's half CCL x with phenox. They turned out great but I have to thin the Roos. If anyone is interested let me know wish I had a plan for them they are pretty Roo's.

Here's pics of juviniles. My new coop. And my black Roo during his first crow. I will be selling 2 pairs of rees line Legbars and one trio of Bielefelders my Bielefelders free range and are very friendly They don't stay in the coop all day like Cody's. You might try putting their feed outside then they will have to start going out more. Just a thought Cody.If interested Pm me. Pam

Everybody's chicks & coops look great! I am SO GLAD to see the sun shining this morning! My flock has done nothing but stay inside & eat their heads off these past 3 days - I swear they've gone through an entire bag of feed! and lay. I've been averaging 15 eggs a day out of 17 layers. donated some to Manna House yesterday.

It's so wet we may never be able to cut grass again - we'll have to bail hay instead if the yard ever dries up enough - & no laundry right now, septic tank is so full I don't dare risk it!

I think we can safely say we are not under drought conditions.

I'm still pretty new to all of this chicken stuff so each day is a learning experience. On April 15th I had a hen go broody and my little girl begged me to let her sit so...I did. She and another hen in the same coop are two of my best layers but I figured I'd still have eggs from the other one. No eggs to be found. This group free ranges a lot so I thought she just found another spot since Betty is in the box both of them usually use, but have not found another spot either. Now to what I learned today...when the broody gets up to eat, drink, etc...the other hen is getting in the box laying her egg and keeping everything warm until broody gets back. Should I let this cycle keep going? Each egg added is another day in the box for the broody right?

Terri, I'm with you. We have such a wet mess not sure we will be able to cut grass again!!!

I'm still pretty new to all of this chicken stuff so each day is a learning experience. On April 15th I had a hen go broody and my little girl begged me to let her sit so...I did. She and another hen in the same coop are two of my best layers but I figured I'd still have eggs from the other one. No eggs to be found. This group free ranges a lot so I thought she just found another spot since Betty is in the box both of them usually use, but have not found another spot either. Now to what I learned today...when the broody gets up to eat, drink, etc...the other hen is getting in the box laying her egg and keeping everything warm until broody gets back. Should I let this cycle keep going? Each egg added is another day in the box for the broody right?

Terri, I'm with you. We have such a wet mess not sure we will be able to cut grass again!!!

I would mark all eggs in the box now, and whenever a new egg is laid remove it. You want a max of around 3 days difference in hatching, otherwise the hen will choose between unhatched eggs or hungry chicks. Some hens don't wait that long and get off after a day or so, others wait for all the eggs to hatch even if some never will.

Here's pics of juviniles. My new coop. And my black Roo during his first crow. I will be selling 2 pairs of rees line Legbars and one trio of Bielefelders my Bielefelders free range and are very friendly They don't stay in the coop all day like Cody's. You might try putting their feed outside then they will have to start going out more. Just a thought Cody.If interested Pm me. Pam
Hey Pam the coop looks good will like to see your set up and know what your doing. Is it a breeding coop with it being divided into sections. Thanks for thinking of me in reference to the trio. I'll be full up if I get the Rocks. I heard from Jeremy, I might have chicks by May. Since I've complained about my birds they've actually gotten better. They're spending more time out of the coop and run now. Some of the flock likes to hang out underneath a big oak beside the run. Some of the cockerels are starting to play the kazoo.
I tried what you said a few times......putting their food outside....... but they'd eat and go back in the coop. I think that they were just young and scared. They are getting better.
smile.png

Last edited:
Everybody's chicks & coops look great! I am SO GLAD to see the sun shining this morning! My flock has done nothing but stay inside & eat their heads off these past 3 days - I swear they've gone through an entire bag of feed! and lay. I've been averaging 15 eggs a day out of 17 layers. donated some to Manna House yesterday.

It's so wet we may never be able to cut grass again - we'll have to bail hay instead if the yard ever dries up enough - & no laundry right now, septic tank is so full I don't dare risk it!

I think we can safely say we are not under drought conditions.
You to? Same here so tired of the rain. If it's not raining it's overcast or the sun is shining and it's to wet to do anything. I guess we can be thankful we're not in California. Now they have problems I hope we don't ever see.

Back
Top Bottom