"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Hi! I'm new to BYC and a new chicken mama. I live in Sulphur (SWLA). Our flock started out with 4 Silkies(Roo Paul and the Dixie chicks), polish (Harry Pooter) and a frizzled bantam cochin (Henrietta). They are roughly 11 weeks old. Then we added the mystery chickens. 2 were sold as Wyandottes but pretty sure they are not. Gold mystery (Goldie Hen), Gray mystery (Petunia), mystery frizzle (Chicki Minaj) and they are 7 weeks old. And last but not least we inherited 3 full grown chickens from a friend who just passed. So now we have what i think are 2 RIR (Ginger and Penny) and a white Leghorn (Mother Clucker). I also have 2 basset hounds who love to chicken watch with me!
View attachment 1051496 View attachment 1051497 View attachment 1051498 View attachment 1051500 View attachment 1051501 View attachment 1051502

Here's a picture of one of my Bassetts dirt bathing with the chickens last week...
IMG_0764.JPG

So far my RIR has layed for me 5 out of the 6 days since she started laying! Really happy with the production. She hasn't quite figured out that the laying boxes are for laying though... She basically makes a little nest in the corner of their coop and lays there. Really not the end of the world, but I'd love to get her laying in the nesting boxes. I have two fake eggs in them but Im gonna try a few things to get her laying in the boxes.

First off the boxes aren't very deep and she seems to like making a deep nest so Im gonna put a large tub filled with bedding in the box. Hopefully she finds that appealing enough to lay in. After that I have no clue where to go... Tony may just be laying in the coop her whole life. >.<

Country, I did some google searching and from what I can see there is no real ordinance or law regarding keeping chickens. The only thing I saw was about not letting animals run loose and keeping them confined. That was in St. Martin parish, not the city of St. Martinville. Dmontgomery is probably right.....you should call the mayor's office or city hall.

Back
Top Bottom