"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Greetings!
How did you fare through Harvey?

What birds do you raise?

No trouble with Harvey, but we live on a river and there's 2ft of water on the road. The next few days will be the worst for my family. We're the only ones on this part of the road.

I have svart honas, banty cochins, and lots of fun, fancy mixes. :lol: My mixes are from a sapphire roo, legbar/leghorn roo, legbar/marans roo and cochin, EE, leghorn, and legbar hens. I like playing "mad scientist" with traits and colors. :D

I also have muscovies and a few guineas.

Glad y'all are well! We get flooded in too during big storms. At least we have our chickens to keep us busy!

That's a wonderful variety of birds. Do you have any legbar/leghorn bred back to legbars laying? If so, what color eggs are you getting?

I'm putting my CCL over my whiting pullets in a few weeks to see if I can get some of the green tint out of my eggs. My CCL hens all lay a blue-green egg.

Glad y'all are well! We get flooded in too during big storms. At least we have our chickens to keep us busy!

That's a wonderful variety of birds. Do you have any legbar/leghorn bred back to legbars laying? If so, what color eggs are you getting?

I'm putting my CCL over my whiting pullets in a few weeks to see if I can get some of the green tint out of my eggs. My CCL hens all lay a blue-green egg.

I had bad trouble with snakes, cocci, and moldy feed this year, so I only have guesses on the parentage of most birds. I lost so many in such a short time that I got pretty depressed and just mixed all the broods. In the spring I'll separate hens and roos. I have a big blue EE/cochin who lays a nice medium green egg. I had her with the legbar/marans roo and hatched three pullets off her, but none survived. My spring pullets aren't laying yet.

My fav birds I got from a member in Texas. She's trying to develop a lavender crele from her Isabella leghorns and cream legbars. I have a few of her castoffs, and a few from eggs I hatched from her. It's a really fun project and the birds are gorgeous.

I had bad trouble with snakes, cocci, and moldy feed this year, so I only have guesses on the parentage of most birds. I lost so many in such a short time that I got pretty depressed and just mixed all the broods. In the spring I'll separate hens and roos. I have a big blue EE/cochin who lays a nice medium green egg. I had her with the legbar/marans roo and hatched three pullets off her, but none survived. My spring pullets aren't laying yet.

I see, It can be really (REALLY) trying to raise chickens in a wet swampy area!

I tell people that cocci is a right of passage for chicks in southeast Louisiana. ☹️

And snakes!! I've pulled 3 snakes out of my coop and brooder in just 1 month! Darn rat snakes, one ate 3 eggs from under a broody in the night mid-hatch! I've since reinforced EVERYTHING. My coop is now stuffed and stuffed with foam and tinfoil, it's ugly but it's snake-proof. I included pics, those are the three snakes.
IMG_0835.JPG
IMG_1514.JPG
52578675951__15F70057-29CC-464B-A97A-5F6D1790D1B6.JPG

I've since found a way to relocate the snakes to people's property that actually need help with rat control.

I'd love to know what colors you get when they start laying!

My fav birds I got from a member in Texas. She's trying to develop a lavender crele from her Isabella leghorns and cream legbars. I have a few of her castoffs, and a few from eggs I hatched from her. It's a really fun project and the birds are gorgeous.

They sound lovely! I'd love to see pics when you get a chance to post!

Oh geez, snakes first. All rat snakes. I only killed the ones I caught in the act. All others were chased off.

First: chick survived.
image.jpg

Second: juvie survived.
image.jpg

Third: ate entire clutch of duck eggs 8 days from hatch.
image.jpg

Fourth: killed 5 juvies, not big enough to eat them.
image.jpg

Fifth: deleted pics I guess but it's in the crate the hens are looking in. Ate 5 chicks and eggs.
image.jpg

Sixth: ate 2 big chicks, killed one other.
image.jpg

Seventh: ate eggs.
image.jpg

Wow!! Were they all rat snakes/chicken snakes?!

I'm sorry you had to deal with that and had that kind of loss. I had no idea they would go for a juvenile bird. I thought my older chicks were safe. I will take some extra precautions tonight and reinforce my brooders tonight.

Were all of the snakes found at night or I the early morning? That's when I find mine.

Oh geez, snakes first. All rat snakes. I only killed the ones I caught in the act. All others were chased off.

First: chick survived.
View attachment 1125403

Second: juvie survived.
View attachment 1125401

Third: ate entire clutch of duck eggs 8 days from hatch.
View attachment 1125410

Fourth: killed 5 juvies, not big enough to eat them.
View attachment 1125411

Fifth: deleted pics I guess but it's in the crate the hens are looking in. Ate 5 chicks and eggs.
View attachment 1125398

Sixth: ate 2 big chicks, killed one other.
View attachment 1125399

Seventh: ate eggs.
View attachment 1125400
Oh I see where you said they were all rat snakes!

A few honas. They make good broodies!
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

My best broody EE Cinder. She'll take anything! I gave her day old keets and month old chicks (survivors of the 14). Then a week later I have her two more day old keets. She'll mother anything.
image.jpg

Mixed hona pullet:
image.jpg

Wild banty cochins. They lived for a month finding their own food and shelter! I kept checking on them but they were always fine, so I let them stay out. Fun fact: Cinder hatched half of them last year for her first brood!
image.jpg

image.jpg

Giant cochin pullet:
image.jpg

My EE/cochin (Mavis) and CCL/OE marans roo (Hank).
image.jpg

image.jpg

Sapphire roo (Jep) and legbar/leghorn roo (Gem) trying to decide who is boss. Jep is the boss. He hatched from an egg from Pennsylvania.
image.jpg

The "Texas" birds. Two full-bred Isabella leghorns, the other two are legbar/leghorn. I think it was gold legbar and Isabella leghorn.
image.jpg

Leghorn and the guinea that Cinder raised last year.
image.jpg

The only juvies (two not pictured) that survived all my spring hatches.
image.jpg

Nice little group pic a couple days ago.
image.jpg

One of three broody muscovies :lol:
image.jpg

Back
Top Bottom