"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Go back to the BYC homepage and click on the articles section. Then open up the “coops” and click on “large coops”. Scroll through a couple pages until you get to an article called “Hot Weather Coops” by @getaclue from June 2017. It will give you some good ideas about what you need to consider for coops down here. Obviously you won’t need anything as big as they have yet, but since you are new to chickens, you haven’t experienced chicken math yet. I started out like you a few years ago. We had 6 in 2014 and have over 70 now.
If you build a permanent coop, locate it in a shady area. Keep it on high ground so it won’t flood when it rains a lot. Give them as much ventilation as possible. My coop only has 3 walls and is completely open to the east.
There is probably a Facebook group of chicken raisers in the Lafayette area. Or check out the bulletin board at your local Tractor Supply for other people locally selling chickens. They will be a good source of info about your area.

I too had been absent, but i can tell you not much of anyone besides campingshaws checks on in here regularly anymore @justoldbobo2 @PSJ

I’m mostly over at Granny Hatchet’s thread, but I get notifications if someone posts here. :frow

A couple weeks ago I hatched about 40 chicks, and 8 ducklings. Most all are mutts, there’s a few pure marans and rir in there. The ducks are mutts too. I’ve been getting about three eggs a day from 7 hens, but I know some haven’t started yet. Today I got a Muscovy egg, first one this year.

I’m mostly over at Granny Hatchet’s thread, but I get notifications if someone posts here. :frow

A couple weeks ago I hatched about 40 chicks, and 8 ducklings. Most all are mutts, there’s a few pure marans and rir in there. The ducks are mutts too. I’ve been getting about three eggs a day from 7 hens, but I know some haven’t started yet. Today I got a Muscovy egg, first one this year.

:love ducks! Im so jealous! i miss my Cayuga more everytime i think about them :hit another goal to be set ;) mutts still say "Quack" :love:love:love

I have a diff home thread too but i still love this place and getting to know people in our vicinity.

I hatched 66 quail sunday the 10th, direct from James Marie Farms, his line of meat makers. Now hes decided to give my teenager her own project, a dozen of his celadon (blue) egg line! So of course im tryn to figure out what to buy to compliment them :gigalso @lakones sold me her breeding flock of 5 BLRW and sold me Back my pair of Svart Hona after i had sold off to Her when i was preg :lau gotta love this place for the amazing people you can meet here:love

Good morning!! Looks like this thread hasn’t had much activity but do see some southern Cajuns are posting so wanted to join in! I’m in Slidell, right at edge of Honey Island Swamp on MS line. Just starting out with chicks, have 9 that are in their 4th week. Barred rocks, red rocks, Wyandotte, and Welsummer.
Laissez les bons temps rouler!!!

Back
Top Bottom