"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

I use Wazine (piperazine) I do this a couple of times a year for preventative reasons I've never had an infestation by doing so I like to do this esp this time of the year as i don't have to chunk so may eggs after doing so (2weeks) to clean out of their systems before consuming meat or eggs. Don't know the dosage of Ivermectin per bird depends on the strength(%) of the product.

Kuntrygirl I water in 1 gallon drinkers/founts so its easy to distribute it out in the directed amount on the bottle by age/size of the birds. It has instructions for all different types of livestock on it available at most farm/animal supply stores.

The slowing of laying this time of year is due to the lesser amount of daylight hours (as chickens can't tell time
smile.png
), LOL I got what you were referring to though
highfive.gif
LOL It takes 14 hours of light stimulation to the pituitary gland is what in needed for a hens brain to secrete the hormones to tell her to go into full blown production mode. Also too this time of the year, the lesser light hours means less food consumption and also the cooler temps take some of the needed nutrients away from the production of eggs and puts this toward sustaining/regulating body temperatures. and this time.(lack of) also triggers hens to go into molt, therefore all the feed they eat is then turned into feather making/growing which are consisted of mostly dead proteins (keratin) which is the same things as hair, nails, skin, feathers, horn are created from. This takes a rich high protein diet to replace therefore egg production is placed on the back burner during this time. Then afterwards for a few weeks when the molt process is in and done, the hens will also use a lot of their feed nutrients and carbs to put on a fat layer/reserve for insulation for the cool months. All of this activity takes a lot of energy so the hens will usually rest a lot and are not as thrifty during these processes (of self preservation).

You can artificially stimulate the hens into production by adding lights to lengthen their daylight feeding hours and stimulate the brain to thinking its good to go and lay eggs also you can add heat to the their coops simulating a warmer season(like springtime), up the protein of their diets simulating an increase of rich foods which are more readily available in the warmer periods of the year. But in the end all this can take a toll on the hens and make them older than they really are due to stress. I like to let my girls go through this resting stage for a bit of time just to give them a break and keep them in good health for a long lengthy laying life and not wear them out in 2 years like those poor ol battery hens(google them if you want to see a wore out 2 year old layer). It cost a lot of money to raise up brand new pullets every year to replace old wore out 2 year olds, you'd have to have a pen full of young pullets growing out all year long to keep the "out with old and raggedy and in with the new frugal/thrifty layers"(not in my budget) I'm small scale/time on this account.
wink.png

Good day to all ya'll La-yers and Byc-ers
frow.gif

Jeff
Excellent information Jeff - thanks for posting it!

I follow almost the exact same routine you do except I switch up wormers - I alternate Wazine with Ivermectrin. I also believe in letting their bodies take a break.

I'll be starting to leg band with this next hatch as I can't tell the Wellies & the RIRs apart - they all look almost identical!

My chicken yard is a mess. I have visions of 2 dump trucks with washed sand backing up into my chicken yard and pouring sand all over.
love.gif

I'm lucky enough to be surrounded by sand here have a whole creek full LOL so its free for the taking all it cost is the 'el manuel' (back ache) to get it loaded and distributed. I just save that money(dirt and haul fee) for Aspirins/ibuprofen,LOL

I'd bet you are not gettin 100% production, maybe those pullets from last year are laying decent but they too will eventually go into the molt and slow down process, its inevitable, has to happen, its Mother Natures way of self preservation
wink.png
unless they are some new fandangled egg producing robot encased in a hens body.

My young hens are what's keeping me in eggs and the few older ones that went through the molt early the older hens will molt earlier than the young ones I've found it must be an experience thing, I can't for the life of me figure why some wait till the coldest of times to strip down to their skivies/draws and streak around nekkid in the freezing temps,LOL, but its time to up the ante now. I gave them the last couple of months off for a break now I'm going to lay the feed to them I got to get them in shape for hatching season coming here in a couple of months.

Jeff

Good morning La-yers!

My Malcolm is having his 2nd ACL surgery this morning - so glad to be finally getting this behind us & him starting on his final healing. Poor dog is overdue for a break!

It's beautiful outside - I have the prettiest view of a big bradford pear across the street from my office window - it looks like it's on fire this time of day! Kind of on the cool side though.

My 2 bad hens once again spent the night outside of the coop -- and I even went outside with my big flashlight & looked everywhere for them - I can't believe I am being outsmarted by two chickens!
hmm.png

My chicken yard is a mess. I have visions of 2 dump trucks with washed sand backing up into my chicken yard and pouring sand all over. :love

I'm lucky enough to be surrounded by sand here have a whole creek full LOL so its free for the taking all it cost is the 'el manuel' (back ache) to get it loaded and distributed. I just save that money(dirt and haul fee) for Aspirins/ibuprofen,LOL

I'd bet you are not gettin 100% production, maybe those pullets from last year are laying decent but they too will eventually go into the molt and slow down process, its inevitable, has to happen, its Mother Natures way of self preservation ;) unless they are some new fandangled egg producing robot encased in a hens body.

My young hens are what's keeping me in eggs and the few older ones that went through the molt early the older hens will molt earlier than the young ones I've found it must be an experience thing, I can't for the life of me figure why some wait till the coldest of times to strip down to their skivies/draws and streak around nekkid in the freezing temps,LOL, but its time to up the ante now. I gave them the last couple of months off for a break now I'm going to lay the feed to them I got to get them in shape for hatching season coming here in a couple of months.

Jeff

Maybe they may slow up soon but I haven't seen a decrease at all. The only difference I see is that the eggs are HUGE with the new feed. I'm crossing my fingers they continue to spit those eggs out. :) And I don't add any light. I don't believe in doing that. Makes me think of vending machines when I hear people adding light. Something just don't sound right about that there. :/

Good morning La-yers!

My Malcolm is having his 2nd ACL surgery this morning - so glad to be finally getting this behind us & him starting on his final healing. Poor dog is overdue for a break!

It's beautiful outside - I have the prettiest view of a big bradford pear across the street from my office window - it looks like it's on fire this time of day! Kind of on the cool side though.

My 2 bad hens once again spent the night outside of the coop -- and I even went outside with my big flashlight & looked everywhere for them - I can't believe I am being outsmarted by two chickens! :/

Sending good vibes out for Mal.

LOL @ 2 bad hens. Those gals are a mess.

I use the Wazine, but was wondering what dosage you use when giving Ivermec... Which product do you use exactly?
I use Agri-mectin by AgriLabs 1% injectable. Some time I put in drinking water 4cc (4ml) per gallon of water for two days or catch them individualy and give 4 or 5 drops each down their mouth for 3 to 5lb birds and 2 or 3 drops for for 3lb or less birds, using a 3cc syringe witch has a pretty good size needle. Its hard to say a correct dose not sure if there is a good answer, every one does it different. I dont eat the eggs after wazine but I do eat them after ivermec, ivermec is giving to humans in some cases, I think its just a matter of are you allergic to ivermec or not.. I not say go ahead and do it, but i do.

I have to agree with Brandy,.. it really does last a lot longer,.. it's the same with most animals,.. the more nutrition they get from the food,.. the less they eat. I know it cost a lot,.. I know if we had more chickens,.. we couldn't do it,.. but we are eating our chickens and eggs and that's the point of the organic feed. I must say,.. it really nice feed,.. they love it.

Good morning La-yers!

My 2 bad hens once again spent the night outside of the coop -- and I even went outside with my big flashlight & looked everywhere for them - I can't believe I am being outsmarted by two chickens!
hmm.png
Awww Pooor pup :( What happen? Hope for a speedy recovery for him. :)

Back
Top Bottom