"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Thanks for letting us know about the guinea eggs. I ordered 5 dozen eggs from her but won't get them until around May 7.  :thumbsup

I waited a week to get mine, but at that price I couldn't pass it up. I was about to put some goose eggs in, but once I saw the guinea eggs I couldn't resist! She has geese, donkeys, and a ton of pea fowl as well.

Look what I got from Mary today at the Covington Swap!!
love.gif

A pair of Cuckoo Polish chicks. My first venture beyond silkies

A chocolate silkie

a partridge silkie

...and a couple of paint silkies

Here's a family picture. By this point they weren't being very cooperative. 4 of the 6 have their fuzzy butts to the camera.
lau.gif

Their new home. I put this together today for the new additions. I have the light on a dimmer so I can regulate the temperature without having to raise of lower the light fixture. You can't really see it but there's a cut-out in the lid about 12" x 15". It's covered with chicken wire to keep the chicks safe and let air circulate.
They are so cute! Fuzzy Butt Love! The dimmer is a great idea. I'll remember that the next time I have a fuzzy butt.
love.gif

Hi everyone! I'm new here to BYC and was just wondering if someone would help clarify the LA laws on owning chickens. I get that in a subdivision/less than one acre of land that you can't have more than three chickens. I am assuming that if I live down a country backroad with around 3 acres of land I can have around 10 and still be within the law? Any insight would be greatly appreciated, I really hate calling offices and hoping that the information the people are giving me is accurate!
I'm in a subdivision, less than an acre, so I'm confined to 3. I always thought the rule was a matter of being in the city limits or not and have actually looked for places outside the city limits, but when I read this, it looks like an acerage thing, so that would make looking for a place where I can have more chickens near where I am now easier. Are you sure that you will be controled by a Baton Rouge Municipal Code in Zachary? I know they are in the same Parish, but isn't Zachary a separate municipality? If so, Zachary would have it's own rules and probably be more lenient, I think, because it is more rural. Like Brandy said (she lives in Brusley) they said she could have a giraffe if she wanted one.

We will be living on the outskirts of Zachary, so we will also fall in the Baton Rouge codes. It seems a little silly that they would restrict us to three on such a large amount of land.
Hi we live on the north side of Zachary and every other house on our street has some form of livestock and chickens are in abundance out with no problems as we (where we live) is rural. Welcome home too !!!

Awesome info thanx!

Here's a link to the ordinances.  Basically, if you are in a subdivision and under 1 acre, you are restricted to 3 hens.  If you are between 1 and 2 acres, I read it as no number on the hens.  If you are over 2 acres, have fun!!  LOL.

If your property is listed as a rural tract, restrictions don't apply as you are not in a subdivision.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/baton-rouge-louisiana-chicken-ordinance

Oh, and if you are in a subdivision, make sure you read the additional comments which will give more info on coop placement.  :)

Thanx! One more (blue layer) and I'll be happy...well who am I kidding, chicken math dictates I'll need least 3 more, for egg quantities needed, a green layer and a chocolate layer before egg basket satisfaction lol

Back
Top Bottom