"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Yes I'm good, other than tired and hot. I've been double timing trying to get gardening off and going before it gets HOT and burns everything up to a crisp. I did plant popcorn this year in hopes of not having to gather/pick, shuck/or shell, then have to pop it on top of all that, phsewee. I hope to go straight out into the field and sack it up readi-serve style, just haven't figured out how to butter it or cheese flavor it yet, may have to work on that for next season. this year it will be the plain/ low fat type, for the folks on diets.

Jeff
I love your idea!
Does anyone use a hatcher?
Yes I do -- I use my old original Hovnabator as my hatcher - -works great -- I do staggered hatches more than I do 'regular' ones.
I'm ready to fire up my 'bators again. Woe is me!

My hatchet is my first incubator, an LG. You absolutely need good temps., ventilation and humidity in whatever you use because those hatching days and conditions are vital. I get everything where I want before moving the eggs in for lockdown and then make sure I leave myself enough days between due dates to disinfect between hatches.

The old expression goes sorta like this: "What they don't know, surely won't hurt them"

Ever heard of the triple SSS'--shoot, shovel and most of all shush! 'cept here it would have been shoot, shuck(as in de-hide) and soup/gravy. MuMmUm si bon! :drool

Jeff

How funny... Someone over on the Texas thread said SSS today. I've never heard it used as shoot, shovel and shush until today and I've heard it twice now. Lol. I've always heard the three S's being referred to in bathroom talk.

How funny... Someone over on the Texas thread said SSS today. I've never heard it used as shoot, shovel and shush until today and I've heard it twice now. Lol. I've always heard the three S's being referred to in bathroom talk.
lau.gif
yuckyuck.gif

gig.gif
So I suppose if a guy manages a day with all six S's it's a REALLY GOOD DAY!

So it sounds like a "hatcher" is just an incubator right? So you have to have the same thing as an incubator like good humidity, temps, ventilation?
Exactly -- my old Hova works great as a hatcher -- I get it up & running as soon as I fire up my Brinsea, just for a backup in case something happens, and then once I put eggs into the Hova for lockdown, I don't have to turn them so I don't have to raise the lid for anything & the temps & humidity hold just fine as long as I don't raise the lid. (That was always my problem w/the Hova -- as a cheap Styrofoam bator, it loses heat & humidity something awful when you raise the lid). I punched a hole in it years ago & ran a piece of aquarium tubing down to the bottom so if I do have to adjust the humidity I can use a syringe & just shoot some water down there w/o raising the lid. I put a piece of vinyl cabinet shelf paper over the wire so it holds all the mess of the hatching & I can just pitch it out afterwards & it makes cleanup easier, just have to rinse it out & disinfect it.

I hatched all of my peas last year in it, after incubating them in the Brinsea right up until lockdown. Every one of my hatches was a staggered hatch.

this is my first time raising marans, and i got some eggs from a local breeder and most came out white marans and black copper marans, all except these 2. so my question is what dreed are they, they are both clean legged and the top one hatched out the middle of feb. and the bottom one hatched the middle of march, thanx and any help is appreciated

Back
Top Bottom