"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

this is my first time raising marans, and i got some eggs from a local breeder and most came out white marans and black copper marans, all except these 2. so my question is what dreed are they, they are both clean legged and the top one hatched out the middle of feb. and the bottom one hatched the middle of march, thanx and any help is appreciated
correction the one on top does have feathers on her leggs i didnt notice at first because she been picking them out for some reason lol

Well my hatch is not going so well :( two out of twelve are viable and I think one of those died tonight there's a big black thing in it now not like eyes but a lot bigger it just happened so now I'm down to one possible. Not a happy camper atm

correction the one on top does have feathers on her leggs i didnt notice at first because she been picking them out for some reason lol
The one on top is a blue copper. They sometimes pop up if there was blue in the breeding. I have no clue where that barred one came from! He doesn't have a single barred bird on his property. That's really interesting. I'll let him know about these two. He will probably replace them with whites for you. That barred bird really has me scratching my head though! I'm starting a pen of blue coppers, so if you decide to get rid of that pullet then let me know!

I don't know much about Marans, but I think the bottom is a cuckoo Marans. No idea on the top one. I'm sure someone else can tell you though
I did a little research! Apparently cuckoos were used in the breeding of the whites to get a more solid color. Looks like the recessive trait just so happened to pop up in this one. Since they are a relatively rare color that is just starting to be perfected, you can probably expect a few of these culls to pop up every now and then. I had no idea though! Really interesting!

Another new born. This baby must have been born in the wee hours this morning. I found it this morning when I went out to check on them. It was amazing to see how the mom made it get up and walk around to make sure that it was ok.

The other baby that I was worried about is ok. I did some research and the feeding schedule is not as often as I thought. I bought some bottles and milk replacement yesterday and went out to feed the baby but he wasn't hungry. I was able to put the bottle in his mouth and he sucked on it for a few seconds and then stopped. I kept trying to he didn't want it after that. So, I assume that he is eating. But I will continue to try to get it to suck on the bottle to see if it will take the bottle.

Another new born. This baby must have been born in the wee hours this morning. I found it this morning when I went out to check on them. It was amazing to see how the mom made it get up and walk around to make sure that it was ok.

The other baby that I was worried about is ok. I did some research and the feeding schedule is not as often as I thought. I bought some bottles and milk replacement yesterday and went out to feed the baby but he wasn't hungry. I was able to put the bottle in his mouth and he sucked on it for a few seconds and then stopped. I kept trying to he didn't want it after that. So, I assume that he is eating. But I will continue to try to get it to suck on the bottle to see if it will take the bottle.
My husband wants me to get a couple barbado ewes. He really likes the coloring on them! Good luck with your newborns. They grow so fast. I want some more already lol

this is my first time raising marans, and i got some eggs from a local breeder and most came out white marans and black copper marans, all except these 2. so my question is what dreed are they, they are both clean legged and the top one hatched out the middle of feb. and the bottom one hatched the middle of march, thanx and any help is appreciated
I also have the Blue Copper Marans. She looks like a good breeder if you decide to keep her. The cuckoo on bottom isn't colored well. I would not use this one for any breeding.
Well my hatch is not going so well
sad.png
two out of twelve are viable and I think one of those died tonight there's a big black thing in it now not like eyes but a lot bigger it just happened so now I'm down to one possible. Not a happy camper atm
I hate when hatches go wrong. How long have they been in the incubator? Take the time to figure out why. Temps steady? Hens/roos producing good babies before? Are you pulling them out too much?

What a beautiful baby!

I love your idea!
Yes I do -- I use my old original Hovnabator as my hatcher - -works great -- I do staggered hatches more than I do 'regular' ones.
I'm ready to fire up my 'bators again. Woe is me!
So you gonna need eggs here in about 2 weeks, well from this weekend? The project this weekend is to separate breeders once more into 3 stations. Another fellow La-yer has requested Heritage type eggs from me so I will be putting together breeders of RIRs, NHs, and BRs once more then that's it till next spring. I have already met my quota of WAY TOO MANY once again this year, so I'm good to go for now.

Jeff

Last edited:
So you gonna need eggs here in about 2 weeks, well from this weekend? The project this weekend is to separate breeders once more into 3 stations. Another fellow La-yer has requested Heritage type eggs from me so I will be putting together breeders of RIRs, NHs, and BRs once more then that's it till next spring. I have already met my quota of WAY TOO MANY once again this year, so I'm good to go for now.

Jeff
That's right, twist my arm, you ENABLER!
lau.gif

Nice looking lamb Julie! Sorry your hatch isn't going well Silkiebaby - it took me a while to get the hang of it.

NOISY NOISY peas today! they haven't stopped hollering all morning - sounds like a pack of cats fighting out there!

Back
Top Bottom