"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

The one on top is a blue copper. They sometimes pop up if there was blue in the breeding. I have no clue where that barred one came from! He doesn't have a single barred bird on his property. That's really interesting. I'll let him know about these two. He will probably replace them with whites for you. That barred bird really has me scratching my head though! I'm starting a pen of blue coppers, so if you decide to get rid of that pullet then let me know!
hey gracie and thanx for the info. i do love these birds, i like the little blue so much im trying to figure out how to breed some more of them, the one with the bars thats not a good pic. he is only barred on the front half and is jet black from there back, he hatched out on march 15 so he only just a hair over 2 mths old and i was hopeing he was just an awkward looking young birchen maran, is that possible? im gonna hold on to him and see how he turns out, he is a neet litte fellar, and if i decide to get rid of the blue pullet i will give her to you but im thinking of starting some myself, thanx and tell mr. doug the birds are doing great and i love his stock, thanx again

Well, we have a mystery going on in our Gold Neck pen. Remember me telling you we had a broody on two eggs and another hen stole them? Well, it's odd, but there's more.

First, Tanya Tucker was sitting on two eggs starting on the 14th. On Friday hubby told me there were now 3 eggs. Hmmm...i thought maybe another hen had laid there while she had gotten up for a snack. Anyway, I dismissed it. On Saturday when I checked her ---nope, only two eggs. I just thought hubby had seen a mirage or something. Anyway, on Monday Dolly Parton started sitting in the other nest with no eggs. On Tuesday, she had stolen the two eggs and was sitting on them while Tanya was sitting on empty. I pulled one out and put it back under Tanya thinking at least they wouldn't be wasting their time. So, last night hubby goes to check them and would you believe that Tanya was there on her egg, but there was NO EGG under Dolly!!!!!!!

So now we're thinking there are two eggs missing. One of which had been sat on since the 14th. I have ruled out the chickens eating them or else I'd have seen some sign of it. At least goo in the nest. We then questioned snake...but I'd think it would have eaten both eggs and it wouldn't have made it out of the pen for a while after eating. We do live on 10 acres..most of which is field. Mouse? Rat? We checked for signs of droppings. Nada. So where are the eggs going? We have a camera set up, but it isn't pointing directly at that pen. We will be moving it this afternoon to see if we catch any culprits. I am praying it's a critter that I can easily take care of. If it's my idiot neighbors there will be H E double hockey sticks to pay. Oddly enough, the two RIR hens I got from Terri haven't laid in two weeks, either. They were laying just fine. I'm really wondering if it's a human. Shame I didn't get new batteries for the camera before now or I'd have caught them. After reporting the horse being in our yard tearing up our things to get to the chicken feed, cops were out there twice and told them if they came back a third time that they would confiscate every animal on their property. No more problems with the horse, but now I'm wondering if they're taking eggs.

Anyone else got any ideas?

Well, we have a mystery going on in our Gold Neck pen.  Remember me telling you we had a broody on two eggs and another hen stole them?  Well, it's odd, but there's more.

First, Tanya Tucker was sitting on two eggs starting on the 14th.  On Friday hubby told me there were now 3 eggs.  Hmmm...i thought maybe another hen had laid there while she had gotten up for a snack.  Anyway, I dismissed it.  On Saturday when I checked her ---nope, only two eggs.  I just thought hubby had seen a mirage or something.  Anyway, on Monday Dolly Parton started sitting in the other nest with no eggs.  On Tuesday, she had stolen the two eggs and was sitting on them while Tanya was sitting on empty.  I pulled one out and put it back under Tanya thinking at least they wouldn't be wasting their time.  So, last night hubby goes to check them and would you believe that Tanya was there on her egg, but there was NO EGG under Dolly!!!!!!!

So now we're thinking there are two eggs missing.  One of which had been sat on since the 14th.  I have ruled out the chickens eating them or else I'd have seen some sign of it.  At least goo in the nest.  We then questioned snake...but I'd think it would have eaten both eggs and it wouldn't have made it out of the pen for a while after eating.  We do live on 10 acres..most of which is field.  Mouse?  Rat?  We checked for signs of droppings.  Nada.  So where are the eggs going?  We have a camera set up, but it isn't pointing directly at that pen.  We will be moving it this afternoon to see if we catch any culprits.  I am praying it's a critter that I can easily take care of.  If it's my idiot neighbors there will be H E double hockey sticks to pay.  Oddly enough, the two RIR hens I got from Terri haven't laid in two weeks, either.  They were laying just fine.  I'm really wondering if it's a human.  Shame I didn't get new batteries for the camera before now or I'd have caught them.  After reporting the horse being in our yard tearing up our things to get to the chicken feed, cops were out there twice and told them if they came back a third time that they would confiscate every animal on their property.  No more problems with the horse, but now I'm wondering if they're taking eggs.

Anyone else got any ideas?

I lost track of any other details when I read the names of your chickens. I was waiting to hear when Kenny Rogers and Willie Nelson came into the picture and their story. :lau

LOL...sorry. We theme name all our breeds. Hubby wanted the d'Uccles --so he named them. He started with Dukes of Hazard characters so Bo, Luke, Daisy, Boss Hogg, and then he needed more females so he went with female country singers. Go figure. We have Patsy Cline, Tanya Tucker, Dollly Parton, Loretta Lynn, and I think he named the other Crystal Gayle. Who knows.

My RIR boys are all named after Westerns -- John Wayne and Clint Eastwood. The girls have spanish bar maid names. LOL. We have to keep some humor in our house.

LOL...sorry.  We theme name all our breeds.  Hubby wanted the d'Uccles --so he named them.  He started with Dukes of Hazard characters so Bo, Luke, Daisy, Boss Hogg, and then he needed more females so he went with female country singers.  Go figure.  We have Patsy Cline, Tanya Tucker, Dollly Parton, Loretta Lynn, and I think he named the other Crystal Gayle.  Who knows.

My RIR boys are all named after Westerns -- John Wayne and Clint Eastwood.  The girls have spanish bar maid names.  LOL.  We have to keep some humor in our house.

:yuckyuck

:lau

I love it!!! Great idea !!! :gig

That's right, twist my arm, you ENABLER!
lau.gif

Nice looking lamb Julie! Sorry your hatch isn't going well Silkiebaby - it took me a while to get the hang of it.

NOISY NOISY peas today! they haven't stopped hollering all morning - sounds like a pack of cats fighting out there!

I know my bunch has been carrying on more so than usual here the past couple of days. Maybe just maybe I might get an egg or two out of that youngin this spring?

We have a fox here that's been terrorizing mine and neighbors animals as of late.anyway her Daddy my cousins hubby and next door neighbor that's a pain in my rumpside over my animals just asked if the fox had gotten any of my chickens I said a few he said good maybe he'll get some of those screaming roosters.

Well, Oh NO He DIDN"T insert>head-bob/neck-weave/lip-biting/snarling-tooth/eh take that -smile<here he just opened up an even more better excuse to start getting the posts set to redo my coop/hen house and run right next to the property line fence(closer to where it used to be) of the backyards. This will be where I'm moving the peas to, about fifty or so roosters an gonna get me some turkeys and ducks(the noisiest ones) guineas maybe even gooses too and when he comes to ask what I'm doing? I'm telling him "I'm building a HOG/GOAT PEN here right next to your deck and swimming pool"!, and might still do that too if he don't learn to keep his blasted trap shut up.
smack.gif

Jeff

Last edited:
hey gracie and thanx for the info. i do love these birds, i like the little blue so much im trying to figure out how to breed some more of them, the one with the bars thats not a good pic. he is only barred on the front half and is jet black from there back, he hatched out on march 15 so he only just a hair over 2 mths old and i was hopeing he was just an awkward looking young birchen maran, is that possible? im gonna hold on to him and see how he turns out, he is a neet litte fellar, and if i decide to get rid of the blue pullet i will give her to you but im thinking of starting some myself, thanx and tell mr. doug the birds are doing great and i love his stock, thanx again
He got rid of his blues, so the only way it would pop up again is if it were recessive. I have a solid blue roo that I have paired with a solid black hen. I should get 50% blue/ 50% black chicks from them. They may or may not have copper leakage. I haven't hatched any to find out. I should be able to get you some chicks by the fall if you want some blues though!

He got rid of his blues, so the only way it would pop up again is if it were recessive. I have a solid blue roo that I have paired with a solid black hen. I should get 50% blue/ 50% black chicks from them. They may or may not have copper leakage. I haven't hatched any to find out. I should be able to get you some chicks by the fall if you want some blues though!
that would be awesome thanx

Back
Top Bottom