"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

I know that everyone loves going to chicken swaps and trading and buying animals from others, etc. but please be careful what birds that you buy from strangers or others. You do not want to bring diseases back to your place because you bought a sick bird from someone who failed to tell you that their birds had respiratory problems. If you insist on buying birds from strangers, please make sure that the new birds are quarantined for at least 30 days.

I got a call from a man on last weekend and he wanted to buy eggs from me. I asked him how many did he need. Well, he went on to say that he sells eggs to people and that since buying SICK birds from a guy who he thought had healthy birds, he had to kill almost EVERY SINGLE chicken (except 3) that he had because the sick birds that he bought and put with his healthy birds made every single bird on his property sick with a respiratory problem. So, now he is faced with the fact that he is about to lose his egg business and egg customers because he can't supply the eggs that they need. So now he is depending on me to sell eggs to him until he can get another flock of chickens so that they can start laying eggs.

I can't stress enough how important it is to quarantine new birds. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE be careful when buying birds from other people. I would hate for you all to have to cull your entire flock because you "thought" that someone had healthy birds and they really didn't. I am scared to even go to the chicken swaps because I don't want to walk on any infected poop and bring back to my flock. I stay FAR FAR FAR away from any chicken swap. I'm too paranoid. :oops: It's not worth it in my opinion.

And when you go to visit someone with birds, please make sure that you wear boot covers. If you have people going over to your house that has animals, please make sure that they wear boot covers. You never know what they are tracking in to your place. Better to be safe than sorry.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/g/i/5889665/default/
Can anyone tell me what kind of Bantam this is?
I'm also in search of some Lavender Orpington LF, does anyone know of any for sale?

Blue Wyandottes welcome to the La-yers thread too and
welcome-byc.gif

Jeff

Well, yesterday the big girls let the 4 month olds into the yard. Every other time they wanted to kill them, but suddenly yesterday was the day. The babies use their coop as "safe zone" and run in as necessary, but all is fairly peaceful with only a small occasional reminder that the big girls rule. The babies are enjoying scratching and pecking like real chickens.

The two babies from ssterling are growing up.

When the babies starting checking out the "foot bath" Primrose let them know that was off limits to babies. Lol

Ive
8y6evy4a.jpg
decided to sell my chickens and chicks. I have 15 laying hens and a rooster (13 welsummers, 1 speckled Sussex and 1 mix, rooster is welsummer). I will take 8 bucks a piece,must take all. I also have 37 welsummer chicks about 2 months old will sell for 5 bucks a piece. Located in new Iberia/ Broussard area.
Howdy neighbor! I'm in the Lafayette Carencro area, not far from you at all. I can't get any chickens yet, hubby has some really bad health issues, but maybe next year things might get better and I'll get my coveted Black Australorps! Still can dream though, can't I?

Hello. Newbie here. Right now I have a bunch of Marans. Not to much happy with them. Egg production is way off. I bought some leghorns to try out a cross breed see if I can get a chicken that would do well in the long humid Louisiana summer. After much reading, I have changed my mind. Going to buy Australorps. As I bring them in and weed out the marans and leghorns, I will come back and post up some production, some photos.

If you
Hello. Newbie here. Right now I have a bunch of Marans. Not to much happy with them. Egg production is way off. I bought some leghorns to try out a cross breed see if I can get a chicken that would do well in the long humid Louisiana summer. After much reading, I have changed my mind. Going to buy Australorps. As I bring them in and weed out the marans and leghorns, I will come back and post up some production, some photos.   

If you want egg production and toughness against LA summers, my Black Stars have filled the bill for me. They are super layers and seem unfazed by the heat and humidity. They are quite hardy and they are easily sexed at birth if you want chicks but only want girls. My RIR pants more and so do the Amercuanas.

One of my Black Stars taking a dust bath.

Last edited:
I have lavs.  I have a few eggs in the incubator now that are due next Monday.

Thank you, I was asking for a friend that is looking, she just recently lost all but 1 that she had,I will have her PM you, if you wouldn't mind giving her a call. :)

Back
Top Bottom