"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Good Morning La-yers! Sorry to have not been around much but I have been insanely busy and I think its about to get worse...lol.

The registration deadline for the Gulf South Fall Classic in Baton Rouge on November 9th is this coming Thursday October 31st. As of this morning we had over 300 birds registered for the show and numerous calls, emails, and PM's on Facebook telling me that folks are sending theirs in today.

We have a large field of Old English with 60 entered, we have 40 Marans, 23 Rhode Island Reds, around 30 Cornish, 16 Plymouth Rocks, 9 Ameraucanas, quite a few Araucanas, Wyandottes, Bantam Cochins, some Sumatras, Australorps, Orpingtons, New Hampshires, Welsummers, Call Ducks, Regular Ducks, even a couple of geese and several other breeds as well.

We are getting quite a few kids registering for our APA/ABA Youth Club sanctioned showmanship event. This is the first year for this and we are very excited about it. Kids don't have to be a member of the club and their are trophies from the Youth Club for 1st and 2nd place in each of the 3 age divisions! Half the spots are filled as of this morning (we can take 25-30 kids).

Fingers are crossed that we can hit 500 registrations! I hope to see some of you there. PrimroseMom1 has graciously volunteered to come help out that day, so she'll be there as well.
Have a great weekend everyone.
I wished I was going to get to come but circumstances out of my control right now hinders that. I have a couple of NH boys and few poulet's here that I wanted to stick in there just to measure up to against Matts and Chris birds, if anything just to see where I am and might would have possibly worried them a tad bit too LOL. Oh well later on down the trail maybe, we shall see. I know its gonna be a good'un.
smile.png

Jeff

Last edited:
You shouldn't need a heat lamp. The only thing I do for them is block the wire in areas where they roost by installing 1/4 inch plywood over it to cut the breeze: I keep part of it open for ventilation though as that is crucial during the winter when they are indoors more hours.
Most birds do fine in the cold. For extremely cold days, way under 20 degrees (we are talking frostbite weather) you do need to be cautious of large combed breeds and watch their feet. It very rarely gets cold enough to worry about such things here though. That is more for the folks up north.

yep wind chill is the factor along with humidity, so just give them a wind break and a wind resistant coop but ventilated(fresh air in, stale/humid air out) they will make their own heat if fed properly. The only lamps needed(if desired) is low wattage if you are into producing more eggs. I don't use heat lamps(for adults) or extra lighting its au'naturalle here.

Jeff

Last edited:
I wished I was going to get to come but circumstances out of my control right now hinders that. I have a couple of NH boys and few poulet's here that I wanted to stick in there just to measure up to against Matts and Chris birds, if anything just to see where I am and might would have possibly worried them a tad bit too LOL. Oh well later on down the trail maybe, we shall see. I know its gonna be a good'un.
smile.png

Jeff

That Darned Chris sold all his LF New Hampshires: All he has left are Bantams. Matt's registration isn't here yet, so I don't know what he's entering. So far, the only LF New Hampshires entered are mine and my daughter's and the bantam ones belong to Chris!

Well I sure hope you are able to make it next year Jeff!

That Darned Chris sold all his LF New Hampshires: All he has left are Bantams. Matt's registration isn't here yet, so I don't know what he's entering. So far, the only LF New Hampshires entered are mine and my daughter's and the bantam ones belong to Chris!

Well I sure hope you are able to make it next year Jeff!

I guess Chris got bit by the RED bug and he went all in on those I reckon, LOL Ok hey I hope ya'll do well with those "orange" chickens then. If Matt shows up with some too you will be tested for sure, his stuff is good, all of it. LOL

Have a blast and enjoy your hard work and fruits of your labor.

Jeff

I'm thinking my Polish is running a fever. Slightly panting, and holding wings out and down away from body. Is there something I should give her? Very worried.

I guess Chris got bit by the RED bug and he went all in on those I reckon, LOL Ok hey I hope ya'll do well with those "orange" chickens then. If Matt shows up with some too you will be tested for sure, his stuff is good, all of it. LOL

Have a blast and enjoy your hard work and fruits of your labor.

Jeff
I'll make sure to post pictures after its all said and done.

I'm assuming reds are RIRs, but what are WRs?
You have too many bantams!
White Rocks.

Back
Top Bottom