"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Hi everyone I live in Jena LA, I have 19 Barred Plymouth Rocks', 15 Red Sex Link's, 5 Black Australorp's, 2 horses, and 2 dogs My desire is to become a Breeder of Heritage breeds. And i work Offshore as a production mechanic 14 & 14

Welcome! It looks like you're off to a great start...pics, pics, pics! How old are your chicks?

This might seem like a silly question, but are the chickens bothered by mosquitos? We have a lot of them as our house is adjacent to a swamp overflow area.

This might seem like a silly question, but are the chickens bothered by mosquitos? We have a lot of them as our house is adjacent to a swamp overflow area.
Mine get bites on their combs when the mosquitos get bad here. In the mornings I will find tiny blood spots
sad.png
dried on their combs. Hazards of living in Louisiana. I just try to make sure that I don't have any standing water in containers. Other than that its out of my control.

Thanks, glad to find the locals, My wife takes care of all the animals, 3 or 4 of the grand kids and works full time and taking online college courses at NW, for business management, in fact she has got to go to NW Thursday for her finals, and i get to come home and see the chicks and her for 14 days, the Australorp's are only about 5 weeks old so i don't really know

I'm a little over 100 miles from you so not too bad. Good luck with getting back on shore. Good place to retire. And raising quality birds can bring in good money. Check out the thread on selling eggs.
th.gif

Isn't that how the fowl pox starts? Jennifer said that's how hers got started.
sad.png
Plants like Mint and others planted around the area is supposed to keep them away. Check it out.
big_smile.png

Isn't that how the fowl pox starts? Jennifer said that's how hers got started.
sad.png
Plants like Mint and others planted around the area is supposed to keep them away. Check it out.
big_smile.png
I wish that were true. I have huge Lemon Balm plants (in the mint family) as well as 2 other kind of mint in my yard. When its been wet they swarm us. The only that works for me is deep woods off
lol.png
I can't live without that stuff!

Hello ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

New Chick Mom
jumpy.gif
here & already discovered CHICKEN MATH,
bow.gif
We were only supposed to be having around 9 chicks..........WELL we now have 16. We started off with 3 silkies, then we got a shipment from Georgia, which the Chick stork
old.gif
delivered 3 Amerucanas, 2 Orpingtons, 3 Frizzles, 1 Lavender Amerucana and then to finish our Flock 2 more Lavender Amerucanas & 2 Polish hens
love.gif

Hello ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

New Chick Mom
jumpy.gif
here & already discovered CHICKEN MATH,
bow.gif
We were only supposed to be having around 9 chicks..........WELL we now have 16. We started off with 3 silkies, then we got a shipment from Georgia, which the Chick stork
old.gif
delivered 3 Amerucanas, 2 Orpingtons, 3 Frizzles, 1 Lavender Amerucana and then to finish our Flock 2 more Lavender Amerucanas & 2 Polish hens
love.gif

It's inevitable Everybody get's it.
lau.gif

AWWWW, my 6 wk old Delawares are getting black tails. Look so cute. Only 3 made it out of 7.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom