"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Not nearby, then. I did see all that rain on the radar though. Yikes! What did you decide to do?
I am going to stick it out at least until i get my hrs, gas aint cheap and neither are motels,i already have 8 hours invested, acouple more and it wont hurt too much to wait for the boss to call it off, these are my ot, so they add up quick

Thanks topdog. I love and very much appreciate the advice and shared experiences available here on BackYard Chickens. And many times what is offered just cannot be found in academic references. However, being an old bookworm, and now Internetworm, I do try to follow research based advice, when available. Almost every university-sourced reference regarding the feeding of chickens layer pellets before they start laying advises against such. (Links to just a few of these references are below.) The concern is that they will be consuming more calcium than their bodies can utilize. Some sources state that one consequence can be kidney damage. While I'm sure that my 17 week olds will soon be near the time at which they will start laying, I plan on waiting till that first egg appears before starting them on layer feed.

Some non-academic sources state that anecdotal observations of the comb and waddles show that they will be fully developed and turn red when chickens are ready to lay. If that is true, then my girls still have a ways to go. But, I'd rather depend on the age factor, which most sources (academic and otherwise) state will be from 20 weeks on.

http://ir.library.oregonstate.edu/xmlui/bitstream/handle/1957/17469/pnw477.pdf
http://animalscience.ucdavis.edu/Avian/feedingchickens.pdf
http://www.extension.umn.edu/food/small-farms/livestock/poultry/rearing-chicks-and-pullets-for-the-small-laying-flock/
http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/ag_poultry_2008-02pr.pdf

Beekissed had almost 20,000 posts on here and 40 years of chicken keeping. She said to start them early. I trust her more than anybody. Seventeen weeks is way ready to start on layer.
lau.gif

Its funny your observations. Today I let my younger Legbars out to meet the rest of the flock. Plus I am evaluating the three roosters to decide which I will keep for breeding. I feed organic soy free,corn free feed. Their are studies that the estrogen in soy is present in the eggs of chickens that feed on soy. The older legbars were 3 1/2 months when I got them the younger were 5 days old. The older hens are on the small side and still growing. I was suprised at how much bigger the younger ones are at their age compared to the older one's at the same age. They are almost as big as the older ones. I was wondering if it was from being feed whole grains from day 6 till now. The others I assume were feed regular food till I got them. I think my feed last longer they are free ranged, well the older ones. I'm just letting the younger ones start so I think it my be the feed. Most of my breeds are heritage breeds and are laying machines. Some not quite as many but they lay for more years so I think in the long run it's close to the same amount.
It took me 2 years to get to this point of hatching my own and just starting to breed. I've learned a lot from the people on this site. And I love to read and resurch. I've had great happiness and some sorrow along the way.I wouldn't trade anything for the people on this site we've had so many laughs and fun they are great. Pam

Pam that is just wonderful. What do you feed the younger birds? Grains? I thought they had to have crumbles until 6 or more weeks. What is your mix?
I can't tell you how liberated I feel right now. I put most of my birds on CL last night and had somebody come to buy the 6 Sapphire blue layers I had for sell. I'm keeping two but the best thing is, wait for it, they took all 10 roosters so I don't have to process. Gave them away of course. This will free up a ton of space. I still have the 10 6 mo old pullets to sell at $10 ea. The Golden Comets have been laying for about 6 wks and the White Rocks are in the process. 2 of the 4 are laying. Rock bottom price but I want the space. I need to make room for some battery hens that I will get this month for meat purposes and eggs. The Sapphires were good incubating experience but I don't need them. I'm only going to raise my fine White Plymouth Rock (totally eye candy) and meat birds. Happy dance
wee.gif

Good to know! Does a bayou count? We have sandy banked bayou wrapped around the property...
A mink is an aquatic animal and has oily fur, research tells me, skunks, coons, weasels ferrets and certain cats will eat the head of its prey and leave the rest of the kill if food is plentiful, you won't find the trap if it's a mink because it would naturally go to its water habitat if it is injured, your trap is probably under water now.

Oh like my yard...any rainy day
th.gif
gig.gif

Or that 7 acre pond that is about 500 yds from my house. sigh. Both of my kills were the throats ripped out. Inside the coop both times. Buying hardware cloth with ALL that money I made today by selling or giving away my 27 excess birds. Yea!!!! Even found a fellow that will build me another coop cheap. I have the 5 eye candy white rocks, one Coronation Sussex and two Sapphire blue egg layers. And my two 10 day old Barred rocks. M/F I think. Then I have my Swedish Flower Hens in the 'bator Day 16. I'm set for winter. Woohoo
celebrate.gif
The money I made today exactly paid for the 5 white rocks. $120. Plus I gave him 2 Delaware and one pullet and rooster Sapphire. 'spensive.

What a drag it is, being stuck at the heliport trying get back offshore and the whole northern gulf is being pumaled with rain storms, got to stay till 3 to get paid for day, will be after 6 getting home, then leave out again at 1 am to be back for tomorrow, l can leave now and loose 8 hrs pay but be home around 1, decisions/decisions

If your place you depart from is closer to me than your home I have a MIL apt. You are welcome to it in the future if that would help. Pam

Thanks topdog. I love and very much appreciate the advice and shared experiences available here on BackYard Chickens. And many times what is offered just cannot be found in academic references. However, being an old bookworm, and now Internetworm, I do try to follow research based advice, when available. Almost every university-sourced reference regarding the feeding of chickens layer pellets before they start laying advises against such. (Links to just a few of these references are below.) The concern is that they will be consuming more calcium than their bodies can utilize. Some sources state that one consequence can be kidney damage. While I'm sure that my 17 week olds will soon be near the time at which they will start laying, I plan on waiting till that first egg appears before starting them on layer feed. Some non-academic sources state that anecdotal observations of the comb and waddles show that they will be fully developed and turn red when chickens are ready to lay. If that is true, then my girls still have a ways to go. But, I'd rather depend on the age factor, which most sources (academic and otherwise) state will be from 20 weeks on.
[COLOR=0563C1]http://ir.library.oregonstate.edu/xmlui/bitstream/handle/1957/17469/pnw477.pdf[/COLOR]
[COLOR=0563C1]http://animalscience.ucdavis.edu/Avian/feedingchickens.pdf[/COLOR]
[COLOR=0563C1]http://www.extension.umn.edu/food/small-farms/livestock/poultry/rearing-chicks-and-pullets-for-the-small-laying-flock/[/COLOR]
[COLOR=0563C1]http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/ag_poultry_2008-02pr.pdf[/COLOR]
I have found each breed is different. Want eggs sooner get waynddotts my gold laced started at 4 months, Australorps at 6 months, and so on. I feed grower until the comb and wattles redden up, then I change to layer usually within a few days form changing to layer I get eggs. RIR'S are good about hiding their first eggs too. Almost immediately after laying the body changes from poulet to hen. This is how I know my Legbar has a hidden nest. The other tell is look at their vents. Pam P.S. The new update for I phone needs some work I make mistakes but not this many Apple needs to redo it.

Last edited:
If your place you depart from is closer to me than your home I have a MIL apt. You are welcome to it in the future if that would help. Pam
Thanks a million for the offer and yes i believe you are about an hour closer, i am waiting for my company to call me back for a room confirmation, if that falls through i may take you up on, it would be a thrill to meat you and ron.:)

Back
Top Bottom