"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

I sold some more chickens today that were extras. Now I just need to wait and see if a few cockerels pop up. I am not keeping ANY large fowl roosters!!! I can't wait to see how these blue chickens turn out. They are looking good. The Blue copper Marans hen is so gentle and friendly! Even though she had to stay out in the barn she still wants to come and have a visit with us when we go.

Most of our Juvie chicks.

Harvey Bunbun enjoying some run time.

Wasn't the sunset today just stellar? I took pictures to!

Some of my best childhood memories are from the Methodist church camp we went every year for 5 years. Pam

That's so awesome. Which one, Pam? In Louisiana?

It boggles my mind that people think camps aren't relevant anymore. My husband has been working in camps since he was 17. We've worked camps together for 11 years, 9 of those married.

Last edited:
That's so awesome. Which one, Pam? In Louisiana?

It boggles my mind that people think camps aren't relevant anymore. My husband has been working in camps since he was 17. We've worked camps together for 11 years, 9 of those married.

Yes in La. I think it was in Aimete. Had a Big eating building, a pool and a swinging bridge over a river or bayou. Had a big open stage area we used for plays and to do crafts too. Pam

Last edited:
Well, I put in a claim on Ebay for a refund for the Blue Australorps. It's been a full week and nothing from USPS. IF by chance they show up today or tomorrow, I'll fire up my old Hovnabator & attempt to set them, but no way am I risking contaminating my RIRs in the Brinsea.

Wonderful idea Camping on the "camp flock" I love your thinking on the mini-farm. I wish I had extras to donate. You might contact some of the poultry Facebook groups & ask.

Y'all, it's totally fine. I'm sure I won't have trouble picking up some hens. I just know y'all, and know your birds are socialized and healthy. Chickens for education will need to be bomb proof, you know? And a few of mine aren't, but enough are.

We'll be starting the second coop when the NOMADS come in March. I'll keep you guys along every step of the way. :D

Last edited:
Well everyone this has been a learning experience. I've had a couple chicks that pipped yesterday that had some trouble getting out of their shells.
The membrane began drying out these. I've had to try to assist three.
This chick V seems to be doing well and is back in the bator acting like a newly hatched chick. It unzipped about halfway and appeared to have gotten stuck.

This V chick pipped yesterday in the lower half of the shell. The membrane appeared to be drying out.
In the lower pic when I punctured the blood vessel I stopped and coated the membrane with Bacitracin and it is back in the bator.
I'm not sure how long to let this one go time-wise to try to assist it.

The third chick I helped out was no doubt stuck in the shell. It is back in the bator and doesn't look well.
There's also what looks like a bubble of fluid under it's skin above the wing. All I can do is keep an eye on it. I'll post a pic later if it necessary or should it not make it.
I tried to make the best call on these that I could. I don't think I intervened too soon??? So far there are 23 healthy chicks in the brooder. All of them had no problems hatching.
I'm thinking the chicks that had problems are due to damaged air cells??? There is still one egg with an live internal pip but no external that I almost cracked open.
Please everyone give me your opinions on how I have gone about this. It won't hurt my feelings.
smile.png

When the hatch is over I'll post the tally. Meanwhile V these guys are the result of the hatch.
Pam, your little legbar is laying in the food tray. :)

Y'all, it's totally fine. I'm sure I won't have trouble picking up some hens. I just know y'all, and know your birds are socialized and healthy. Chickens for education will need to be bomb proof, you know? And a few of mine aren't, but enough are.

We'll be starting the second coop when the NOMADS come in March. I'll keep you guys along every step of the way. :D

I'm happy to donate an extra legbar roo. And hatch a barnyard mix after this hatch. Pam

Back
Top Bottom