"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

ivomec shouldn't be used for worming....its not effective anymore to worms....the worms have built a resistance to the med...you should use safeguard and dose 2 1/3 tbspn per gallon for five days and then wait ten and then redose for another five days....this will kill any capillary worms...or you can use valbazen and dose each bird orally at 1/2 ml/cc once and then wait ten days and then dose again for one day...I orally dose all of my birds so I know they are getting the right dose....and that's 50 birds...the 45 chickens just get it in the water...
Ivermectin [COLOR=B45F06]Liquid, paste[/COLOR] Ivomec liquid, various brands of horse dewormer pastes Feed stores Kills scaley leg mites, and some internal worms SLM: Drip or rub liquid under leg scales. Give paste orally. Does not dilute well in water.
here is the website so you can understand what is the best and how to dose. https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/medicine-chart ivomec wheather its injectable or pour on...is used for MITES now and not really effective in worms I would not give them high protein unless they are Cornish...they will grow to fast making them weaker...that's would be the reason y Cornish have leg problems cause they grow to fast...and you don't want avoidable problems in your birds...cause they will pass all the lovely nasty genetics to their offspring...I would use medicated chick starter...that would be why they have different types of chicken feed...(chick starter, chick grower, and layer mash..) because they are formulated with what the chickens need...(layer mash has extra calcium for the egg producers and cause have possibly fatal effect on chicks given to much calcium...im not an expert but I have done hundred of hours of research about different birds and there needs....the chick starter that is medicated has I believe low dosages of ampril (not sure spelling)...which builds up there coccidiosis (not sure spelling) immunity up so they can fight it off when they are older...if you don't give them the medicated feed they could have a weaker immune system...(all birds carry the coccidiosis disease)...but they build up immunity keeping it at bay....hope this helps
I've seen that website before. Even it says that ivomec treats internal worms. But that site, with it's disclaimers and it's very much incomplete information. I would not trust it to have accurate information. I would believe tons of people that use it and test their show stock and consult (some of them) their veterinarians for dosages. There is a LOT of misinformation out there. Last month when I was researching, I came across a lady who was ranting about how terrible and unsafe of a drug ivomec is and that it will kill them and it's super dangerous. They get even treat people in third world countries with ivomec for internal parasites. It was kind of funny that my kids actually saw that on one of those disgusting creepy shows about parasites. Called Monsters Inside Me. Red flags for me not to trust a website is incomplete information (when that info have been vetted on trusted university type studies) and when they start it out immediately with a disclaimer that they just like this info from the web.

Last edited:
I must say that I've never understood some logic about worming chickens with a "pea size amount" on a piece of bread. (Fenbendazole). :lol: I guess I just need to be more precise than that. I've seen that advice a hundred times and when I first wanted to use it I just couldn't do that with such a huge variation in the size of my birds. And besides. I would never in a million years feed my birds bread. Lol! So I found a lady here on byc that has poultry books that spells out what dosage should be according to the weight of the animal. I was so relieved so we could know that each bird was getting the proper dosage. But if used repeatedly I don't want there to be an immunity built up to it. But that's just me.

Last edited:
I must say that I've never understood some logic about worming chickens with a "pea size amount" on a piece of bread. (Fenbendazole). :lol: I guess I just need to be more precise than that. I've seen that advice a hundred times and when I first wanted to use it I just couldn't do that with such a huge variation in the size of my birds. And besides. I would never in a million years feed my birds bread. Lol! So I found a lady here on byc that has poultry books that spells out what dosage should be according to the weight of the animal. I was so relieved so we could know that each bird was getting the proper dosage. But if used repeatedly I don't want there to be an immunity built up to it. But that's just me.

@casportpony has some good articles on the "pea sized" amount. She weighed different doses of the different safeguard varieties and came up with exact dosing. It was very mathematical and scientific. Way over my head. :lau But her advice and dosing saved my sick pullet (that the hawk killed) so I trust her calculations.

@casportpony has some good articles on the "pea sized" amount. She weighed different doses of the different safeguard varieties and came up with exact dosing. It was very mathematical and scientific. Way over my head. :lau But her advice and dosing saved my sick pullet (that the hawk killed) so I trust her calculations.

Yes. She is the one that provided the dosage by weight information. I'm glad your bird survived! I am certain at about the 3 year mark of having chickens that I had a couple die because I did not know to worm them. The guys at the feed store were not helpful way back then and besides they just recommend wazine to anyone with chickens. Which I believe only treats roundworms. So I'm glad I've learned a lot since then.

I would not give them high protein unless they are Cornish...they will grow to fast making them weaker...that's would be the reason y Cornish have leg problems cause they grow to fast...and you don't want avoidable problems in your birds...cause they will pass all the lovely nasty genetics to their offspring...I would use medicated chick starter...that would be why they have different types of chicken feed...(chick starter, chick grower, and layer mash..) because they are formulated with what the chickens need...(layer mash has extra calcium for the egg producers and cause have possibly fatal effect on chicks given to much calcium...im not an expert but I have done hundred of hours of research about different birds and there needs....the chick starter that is medicated has I believe low dosages of ampril (not sure spelling)...which builds up there coccidiosis (not sure spelling) immunity up so they can fight it off when they are older...if you don't give them the medicated feed they could have a weaker immune system...(all birds carry the coccidiosis disease)...but they build up immunity keeping it at bay....hope this helps
Birdman, I'm staying away from medicated feed. I don't believe it is necessary. Unless your brooder provides the conditions for cocci to become over abundant it shouldn't be a problem. It's how you manage your coop/brooder. The chicks immune system will develop a resistance on its own. Not feeding medicated feed will not create a weaker immune system. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...s-on-medicated-chick-starter-feeds-for-layers

Cornish cross have leg problems because they have been bred to grow too fast. Their genetics have made them susceptible to this. As far as passing "lovely nasty genetics to their offspring" You can't alter genetics by overfeeding or the type of feed being fed.

The gamebird starter I'm feeding now is temporary until I can get a higher quality chick starter.

You could try the tea cup or making a chick walker like camping did after a day and vitiamins it was fine. Pam
:) I'm going to let nature take it's course. I did see the chick walk to the water this morning so that's a good sign. I think in time it will be jumping around like the others. I'll keep you updated.

Thank you Pam
smile.png

Cody

Last edited:
My hatch is already off to a terrible start! I slowly tweaked my incubator to get it to just the right temp and it was doing good.... then last night it rained and now I can't get this stupid thing right!!!
he.gif
I can't get my temp out of the 80's and my freaking humidity is staying in the sixties. It doesn't have water in it!!!!
barnie.gif
It was perfect before the rain. It may have been a year since last hatching but I know this incubator wasn't this much of a
duc.gif
before.

My hatch is already off to a terrible start! I slowly tweaked my incubator to get it to just the right temp and it was doing good.... then last night it rained and now I can't get this stupid thing right!!!
he.gif
I can't get my temp out of the 80's and my freaking humidity is staying in the sixties. It doesn't have water in it!!!!
barnie.gif
It was perfect before the rain. It may have been a year since last hatching but I know this incubator wasn't this much of a
duc.gif
before.
Sorry to hear this Buggles,
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom