"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

If your looking to sell eggs out of state you need to be NPIP approved. It's really no big deal, super easy! I sent am email over a weekend and by the next Wednesday they were out testing. All the results are immediate and you get your paperwork then and there. I'm still waiting for the official word from the FDA but that should come pretty quick now. If you are selling locally I don't think you need to do anything.

I don't really need to sell eggs, but I want to use our farm eggs in the camp (commercial) kitchen. I've asked before about using farm eggs and the guy just shook his head... So I'm a little nervous to try again. But I've read the procedures for other states, and it doesn't look too bad. The farm/camp I spoke to in NC said they don't have any sort of inspections on their coops and have no trouble. But the camp from CA said they have to sign a variance just to use garden veggies.

I'm ServSafe certified and they preach big time on pasteurized eggs and commercial produce, but I think there's some money exchanging hands... Maybe not.

Oh well.

General conversation:

I've got Easy in the kennel on the porch, and then I worried about him getting cold. So I wedged the kennel in between a deep freeze and a bale of hay, gave him a hay-filled crate on its side, and wrapped the whole thing in spare fencing and towels. Hopefully he'll be fine. :/

Hopefully I can get the health department straightened out this week, and board approval the week after. Then the NOMADs come in March, so :fl I'll be getting the coop at that time. As soon as I get board approval then I'm going to ask our supporters for donations of lumber, fencing, hardware cloth, etc. We've been in campaigns to adopt out our cabins, so maybe someone will want to adopt the coop! That would be awesome.

Well sorry for that giant post. Guess I was full of words tonight. :)

Last edited:
I knew people who raised earthworms and they always said it was easy and well worth the effort! I think it does get smelly and it needs fairly good temp regulation, like no freezing Temps and nothing baking. But besides that they eat anything and turn it into fantastic compost. My mother in law had some and she would give them veggie scraps and shredded newspaper and said she had the most amazing compost. Everything grew for her.
smile.png
Thanks!

I have two worm factories. It's easy, You do need to get the red worms not earth worms out your yard.I ordered from Uncle Jims. The hardest part is keeping them from over heating in the heat of summer. I moved mine in the garage and that was cool enough. Pam
My husband told me that he thinks that is the same brand of red worms he gets at Wal-Mart for fishing. It popped up on google. I will check it out and if they aren't the same we can just order some. Thanks

Guess I'll be finding this out I went in half on some marens eggs. Hope I get the half thats healthy. lol. Really joking hoping we each get a trio that would be good. Then I ordered the same Barred rock line Cody ordered but I'm sure less eggs. I've heard some people get 80% hatch rate from shipped eggs. So I'll cross my fingers. It's the age of the parent stock plus their condition,the packaging, The handling, etc. A lot of things you or the seller have no controll of. Thats what insurence is for when its the shipping and handling part of it. I know a couple of people that were giving replacement eggs when none hatched or they were't fertile etc.Pam

Finally have 2 babies this morning, yay!!! 1 black cochin male & 1 black bantam female...3 more pipping..after 3 dis and 1 very deformed dis... thought it was a twin last week. Very odd when candled. But the lord took it. These 2 are so cute. The cochin could be mistaken for one of my dogs fur balls. Sooo cute!! Little white dots on his face with a white chest and lil bit of white on his feet. Will post picks when i have a final tally...i cant wait for all my Duccle's to start Pipping. I did go a lil overboard when buying. I ended up with 36... half are cochin and half are standard bantam. I love mille flur. So glad i found this forum. people who share the same love for fowl that i do.

Finally have 2 babies this morning, yay!!! 1 black cochin male & 1 black bantam female...3 more pipping..after 3 dis and 1 very deformed dis... thought it was a twin last week. Very odd when candled. But the lord took it. These 2 are so cute. The cochin could be mistaken for one of my dogs fur balls. Sooo cute!! Little white dots on his face with a white chest and lil bit of white on his feet. Will post picks when i have a final tally...i cant wait for all my Duccle's to start Pipping. I did go a lil overboard when buying. I ended up with 36... half are cochin and half are standard bantam. I love mille flur. So glad i found this forum. people who share the same love for fowl that i do.
ohh... i send my eggs in bubble wrap and in a foam holder meant for shipping eggs. Yeah i paid for them but found a good seller on ebay. Takes alot of the shock off the egg from movement of shipping. I've noticed that it has been great when i ship. Nothing broken and no broken air cells (so far)

@casportpony has some good articles on the "pea sized" amount. She weighed different doses of the different safeguard varieties and came up with exact dosing. It was very mathematical and scientific. Way over my head.
lau.gif
But her advice and dosing saved my sick pullet (that the hawk killed) so I trust her calculations.

that's where I got most of my dosing information from....I had a great conversation on the phone with her and she is extremely helpful with meds...and for safeguard the pea sized amount is just a general amount for the bird...its very safe and hard to od a bird...that's y its called safeguard...she is the go to person for medication questions and she helped me figure out how to tube my chicken to save it and now that chicken is back to the flock
well here are some pics from this morning
yepper it was below zero last night....got the peafowl in there greenhouse for the time being

over 130 birds now....man I better slow down..i think I got the bird flu

Can a rooster crow passive-aggressively? I feel like he's definitely trying to make a point. Comb looks better today. I don't really want to leave him isolated, but maybe today and tomorrow will be enough.

Ugh, I think the heating element on the bator is messing up or something. No matter how much I turn the thing I can't get it up past 85°!!! I take back every recommendation for the Brinea Octagon 20 I have ever made. The first one I had that did this was used so I figured "Oh well, it was old" and replaced it. This one I used for a year and then it sat in the closet for a year and less then one day in it's going out on me. I am firing up the Farm Innovators and hoping I can save some of these eggs and that is hasn't decided to crap out too. :fl  :hit

If you read the paper work with the incubator it saws you need to send it back for recalibration every couple of years.. Thought I'd let you know. Pam

Last edited:
The good news is the farm innovators is working without issue. I desperately hope I can hatch those 4 eggs from my olive egger Annabelle because of the bad news.... She is in serious trouble. When I let them out for the day she had a weird waddle so I scooped her up and he has a really severe prolapse and is egg bound. It's bad. I mean really, really bad. I'm not sure if we can save her.
hit.gif

Quote:
Yes, I did the same thing when I ordered eggs from TX. I had the Ebay seller ship directly to her and she put bubble wrap around each egg. They were perfect. I paid a one time charge of $8 or so for one but you can order 10 for $60. Shipped free. Love them. Now I have the insert to use when I get ready to ship some. I sure wish I was closer to you, and in better health condition, I'd buy some of your cochin babies in a heartbeat. I'm looking for broodies later on. ha

Back
Top Bottom