"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

My black star, Selena, has been very sick. She started off 3 days ago not eating. When I opened the coop on Friday she didn't come out. She stayed on the perch throwing up. It was sort of clear and had no odor. She was drinking and ate a bit of egg and oatmeal. I put her in sick bay.
A day later on Saturday the throw up was dark, maybe even a little blood and had an odor. I started her on flat coke and crop massages. Here is what the vomit looked like.

She kept drinking and eating very little. Still giving her flat coke. Today she still throwing up. I would follow with coke.
Just now she couldn't stay on the perch. I think I'm losing her. Please help if you can.

Last edited:
Hi My name is Pam and I have a chicken addiction. I think I may be in the wrong Place For help tho. bawhahahahahaha!!!!! LMAO!!

Buggls praying your girl makes it.I've brought some back from the brink of death. She has a chance are you soaking her? Pam

We gave her a soak and used some preparation H on the tissue, but it seems like a real catch 22. She cannot pass the large egg because of the massive prolapse, and I can't really get the tissue back in with the egg in the way. It is a tennis ball sized bulge. I gave her some calcium and have her in a small, dark pen but this is not good. he doesn't seem to be in shock, which is good, but if I can't help her get that egg out then I really don't think she'll make it.

My black star, Selena, has been very sick. She started off 3 days ago not eating. When I opened the coop on Friday she didn't come out. She stayed on the perch throwing up. It was sort of clear and had no odor. She was drinking and ate a bit of egg and oatmeal. I put her in sick bay.
A day later on Saturday the throw up was dark, maybe even a little blood and had an odor. I started her on flat coke and crop massages. Here is what the vomit looked like.

She kept drinking and eating very little. Still giving her flat coke. Today she still throwing up. I would follow with coke.
Just now she couldn't stay on the perch. I think I'm losing her. Please help if you can.

She's not on line she got the info from someone on the emergency thread. Maybe someone their can walk you threw it I'll search u tube pam

I've never seen anything like this. Sorry for your girl! Poor thing.
hugs.gif

We gave her a soak and used some preparation H on the tissue, but it seems like a real catch 22. She cannot pass the large egg because of the massive prolapse, and I can't really get the tissue back in with the egg in the way. It is a tennis ball sized bulge. I gave her some calcium and have her in a small, dark pen but this is not good. he doesn't seem to be in shock, which is good, but if I can't help her get that egg out then I really don't think she'll make it.

This might sound strange. But my youngest LOVES watching Doc Pol. He is a veterinarian of animals large and small. We have seen them use plain white sugar on the prolapsed tissue of cats, dogs, cows.......I remember those 3. They just pile it on and since it will draw the moisture out it helps to shrink the inflamed tissue so that it can be eased back into the body. I'm pretty sure they rinse the tissue again very well before they try to press it back in. I've never had any of our pets get a prolapse, so I don't have personal experience with it.

I have some links. I'll post them up right here as I find them:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/935412/fowl-pox-treatments-warning-gross-pics
Here is where @casportpony talked me through tubing. It's important to do liquids first. I used the sav-a-chick electrolytes and have also used Gatorade.

And also this: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding

Last edited:
Hi Lemon yes this lurker has purchased an incubator and is currently on day 3!!!! Cuckoo maran, BO, olive egger (since my blue layer went on strike :( )and the last egg from my GW before she went to her new home. And sadly my Deli maybe eggbound, maybe. Not seeing tissue or anything but she's always taken a long time to lay lately 4 or 5 hours before she lays. I'm using warm water and put vet Rx in water trying every couple of hours to make her drink. I may get her some antibiotics payday tomorrow? It is helping me to leave the bator alone. Love reading all y'alls posts but don't want to over share lol!

Back
Top Bottom