"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Tha
Thanks. I found a very visual and detailed post by Kunteygirl in 2013. I think I could do it from that but I can't get the supplies until tomorrow. I doubt she'll be alive tomorrow. I appreciate your help and concern.

I used kuntrygirl's instructions also.

Husband found a tube and syringe in Fred's pharmacy; I went to TSC and they all looked at me like I was trying to send chickens to the moon. Do you have any type of syringe and aquarium tubing? Before getting a tube I used a medicine dropper and alternated between going one drop at a time on the outside of the beak and getting a good grip, good aim, and going down the throat. It takes FOREVER but it kept her hanging on til I could get the tube.

I'm so sorry you're going through this. There's nothing worse than feeling helpless to help a sick girl. :(

Last edited:
Do you have her someplace warm? Kathy says that the sick get hypothermic very quickly. When mine get sick enough to require meds I keep them in my shower stall with either the bathroom heater or a space heater. I put a laundry basket in for them filled with hay or shavings. It's one of those fiberglass showers with a glass door, but I'd imagine that a tub shower would work, too.

Hi Lemon yes this lurker has purchased an incubator and is currently on day 3!!!! Cuckoo maran, BO, olive egger (since my blue layer went on strike
sad.png
)and the last egg from my GW before she went to her new home. And sadly my Deli maybe eggbound, maybe. Not seeing tissue or anything but she's always taken a long time to lay lately 4 or 5 hours before she lays. I'm using warm water and put vet Rx in water trying every couple of hours to make her drink. I may get her some antibiotics payday tomorrow? It is helping me to leave the bator alone. Love reading all y'alls posts but don't want to over share lol!

frow.gif
Pretty kitty! It looks like we are due to hatch at the same time!

Camping primrose is in need of emergency help needs to know how to tube feed and what.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/946493/need-help-with-sick-chicken
this is the thread I made its got tons of pics what to use and what I gave her and she is all better now...get corid for sure...1/2ml and some vitamin water right down her about 25 ml first.....then four hours later give her another 25-30ml....the vitamin water I mixed tablespoon sugar, tip of a spoon in molasses, vitamins ....mixed with warm water..and then pulled the liquid out of that mix..then discard and make fresh again...you can look at how to tube feed on that
that forum is wham to the point...not 100 pages that you gotta try and figure out...helpful pages for sure but your in need of something fast

edited to add that the water was two cups of water then the solution mixed

Last edited:
indeed place her somewhere warm and give her time to warm up first...then proceed with tube feeding only if she cant eat or drink...you need to do this like hours ago.

make sure if you use aquarium line that you heat up the end that is going down the throat for a second and make the end rounded...for if you don't you can puncher holes in the neck and the feed can get caught in the area and get infected....hope this helps....sorry for the delayed response...I hope your chicken gets better. do the corid solution in that dose once a day. first start with liquids and then go from there...you can get baby food and pedialight and mix together in the consistency of a liquidy pancake mix....after you get some liquid in her....once she has liquid you wanna give her about 60ml twice a day in her crop...make sure to feel to make sure the last substance you put in there is going down...mine threw up when I picked it up and felt the crop so expect that this could happen

Hi Lemon yes this lurker has purchased an incubator and is currently on day 3!!!! Cuckoo maran, BO, olive egger (since my blue layer went on strike
sad.png
)and the last egg from my GW before she went to her new home. And sadly my Deli maybe eggbound, maybe. Not seeing tissue or anything but she's always taken a long time to lay lately 4 or 5 hours before she lays. I'm using warm water and put vet Rx in water trying every couple of hours to make her drink. I may get her some antibiotics payday tomorrow? It is helping me to leave the bator alone. Love reading all y'alls posts but don't want to over share lol!
Meow! Mamakitty, I don't think you can overshare in this thread.
highfive.gif

Do you have her someplace warm? Kathy says that the sick get hypothermic very quickly. When mine get sick enough to require meds I keep them in my shower stall with either the bathroom heater or a space heater. I put a laundry basket in for them filled with hay or shavings. It's one of those fiberglass showers with a glass door, but I'd imagine that a tub shower would work, too.

Yes, thanks. This morning she was shivering and she's been in the bathroom with heater ever since then. She's not shivering. I think she's warm enough. Fed her olive oil, baking soda and baby food. That's all I had here that might help.

Wow. Thank you to everyone, Pam, Camping and Birdman. I so much appreciate it. I did as much of your suggestions as I could tonight and if she is alive in the morning will get the baby bird feed and catheter tomorrow.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom