"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Quote:
I'd look into it. Can't hurt. I'd love some good ones. Luanne in FL has the best. I hear. Down the road for me. Cpartist also has some and some New Hampshires that are great. These two breeds are what went into the CX make up along with White Rocks. They grow fast and get big. Win win.

Quote:
Manda, are you feeding them scratch at two days old? They can't handle anything but chick starter until they are a lot older. Put a tiny bowl of sand in their box so they can eat it. I mix mine with half of garden soil to get them immunize against Cocci. Just a little extra protection because I don't do medicated feeds. My handyman George came yesterday and finished the 2nd coop. He did such a good job. Putting down soil around it for a water break (on a slope) and 3' hardware cloth. The other half of the coop was built with netting across the top and let in too much water so he put black plastic on part of it and clear shower curtains to let in more light. It looks nice. Moved the nesting boxes down so I have 4 milk crate boxes ready for when I start getting my layers. I have the two 3 mo old black barred rocks in there now and I hope to integrate the 4 babies from the brooder soon. The barrs are so docile I couldn't let them stay with the other girls. He also put a tin roof on the 4' x 6' tiny coop that houses the XW White Plymouth Rock trio I have. Sufficient for a breed pen for now. They can get out and run around a while during the day. Later I'll move them to a bigger coop and let the bantams have it. Perfect for them. The Sebright (8) eggs are on the truck getting here this afternoon. I'm going to attempt to hatch them with my incubator and if I get into trouble I'll get one of the still air cheapies to get me by. I could NOT turn down the $4 + $7 shipping. From TX. So I have the incubator set up and running and by placing a 2 lt coke on it the rattling noise is stopped. We'll see. ha
no, I am only giving them medicated chick starter and vitamin water. I get very excited when I get a new coop! Can you please let me know where you got the sea bright eggs from??? I have not found anyone with purebred seabrigh eggs. Would you please share that information with me. .i will be so appreciative of you

Yea. I'll be ordering soon. The scratch is 10% off and I wanted to ask you again about finishing the roos.

For two weeks do I only feed them grains or do I mix with another feed like a grower or broiler ration?

If you get scratch and peck or big sky they are all grain feeds you want to feed dairy with it. Milk, cottage cheese, etc. the two weeks before processing will make them taste better and the meat will be tender. Pam

I'm looking for a few golden laced Polish and wyandottes if anyone knows someone around southeast area I'm in Covington thanks.Also looking for someone around here that shows that would be Willi gbto give some pointers!!

:welcome to the La-yers. Can't help with the Wyandott's but o'keefes has swaps I would try there I've bought Wyandott's there before. Pam.

I am searching (it seems in vain) for white cochins. I don't want to have shipped. Any leads in LA?

Hey WC welcome to the La-yers thread, if you haven't been welcomed before. Have you tried William Smith? If he doesn't have any he may have an idea who does. If you look back a few pages I linked pages on Facebook that pertain to Louisiana and poultry. He is on quite a few of those pages. I've messaged him before and he was very nice to talk to. I do have a few whites, but nothing to sell at the moment. We are working on them though. I know there has to be more quality breeders than I know of. The only ones I know of that I really like their birds Sherri Sugarfields and Dennis Wollard. They both have black and he has buff also.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom