"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

So ya'll since I integrated the younger birds with the older on Tuesday a few of the cockerels were being rough and very mean to the younger birds. Yesterday evening they were scared onto the roost and didn't come down for their evening water and food and scratch. So I caught the bully birds and penned them by themselves. Today has been drama free and they are co-mingling as to be expected with no chasing and gang rape attempts. I took down a door between two sections of the coop so the younger birds couldn't segregate themselves. Today has been overcast and cooler so I didn't let the older birds out to free range so they can get used to one another. I'm hoping tomorrow when I let them out to range that the younger birds will follow for their first time out of the run.
I plan to keep the three bully cockerels penned for the next few days or so and then see what happens.

Is this a good way to do this? I read about doing it this way on the "Chicken Chick" site.

This leads to me asking is this a good way to pick the culls? I know I've rearranged the pecking order and could be prolonging the inevitable but at least it gives the less aggressive birds time to get used to one another. When I let the bullies out it may persuade them to be a little more accepting. What do ya'll think?

So ya'll since I integrated the younger birds with the older on Tuesday a few of the cockerels were being rough and very mean to the younger birds. Yesterday evening they were scared onto the roost and didn't come down for their evening water and food and scratch. So I caught the bully birds and penned them by themselves. Today has been drama free and they are co-mingling as to be expected with no chasing and gang rape attempts. I took down a door between two sections of the coop so the younger birds couldn't segregate themselves. Today has been overcast and cooler so I didn't let the older birds out to free range so they can get used to one another. I'm hoping tomorrow when I let them out to range that the younger birds will follow for their first time out of the run.
I plan to keep the three bully cockerels penned for the next few days or so and then see what happens.

Is this a good way to do this? I read about doing it this way on the "Chicken Chick" site.

This leads to me asking is this a good way to pick the culls?  I know I've rearranged the pecking order and could be prolonging the inevitable but at least it gives the less aggressive birds time to get used to one another. When I let the bullies out it may persuade them to be a little more accepting. What do ya'll think?

That sounds like exactly the right thing to do. When peace is restored you know you're on the right path.

I also have been integrating some young juvies together into the greenhouse. So they can grow out together with more room. I was surprised at how much chaos there was with this group. Weird age combos I guess. The older Cochin chicks are smaller than my meat chicks I hatch which are large fowl. Those chicks I intend for meat are hungry and large framed. And they are not shy about throwing their weight around. I think we about have them integrated though now. Seems the key is multiple feed/water stations where some are out of sight from each other. And also places they can circle around and get out of sight. I think soon the bullies tire of the game at this age. I'm sure probably easier than the age yours are!

I'm beginning to think I picked the wrong breed. They grow to slow, are late layers, and seem to be having trouble with the heat. They aren't too hot until they're on the roost in the coop. Then they're panting like dogs. I couldn't build the coop anymore ventilated than it is. I don't want a breed that I have to put a fan on :rolleyes:  They cost too much to feed as it is.

Once again thank you for the advice. :)  

Cody,
You don't have to do any of that just saying that's what I do plus the fan keeps Mosquitos off so no foul pox. You will have best issues with a lot of breeds not just Biefelder's. Tonight my RIR,Easter egger, and australorpe where panting as bad as the Biefelders . Chickens in general tolerate cold better than heat. Pam

Cody,
You don't have to do any of that just saying that's what I do plus the fan keeps Mosquitos off so no foul pox. You will have best issues with a lot of breeds not just Biefelder's. Tonight my RIR,Easter egger, and australorpe where panting as bad as the Biefelders . Chickens in general tolerate cold better than heat. Pam
I guess your right Pam. I've just gotten discouraged/disappointed that I may have picked the wrong breed for our climate.
I'm not giving up. I really like these birds and want to continue with my plan of breeding them. I hate to see them suffer because of my wrong choice of hatching them out in Louisiana.
I wasn't implying that you were telling me what to do
smile.png
I hope you didn't take my post in that way.

I was just thinking that people didn't put fans or kiddie pools out for their chickens in the olden days.

That sounds like exactly the right thing to do. When peace is restored you know you're on the right path.

I also have been integrating some young juvies together into the greenhouse. So they can grow out together with more room. I was surprised at how much chaos there was with this group. Weird age combos I guess. The older Cochin chicks are smaller than my meat chicks I hatch which are large fowl. Those chicks I intend for meat are hungry and large framed. And they are not shy about throwing their weight around. I think we about have them integrated though now. Seems the key is multiple feed/water stations where some are out of sight from each other. And also places they can circle around and get out of sight. I think soon the bullies tire of the game at this age. I'm sure probably easier than the age yours are!
Ok good. Thank you Lemon.
smile.png
I was a bit surprised at how well everyone got along today with the aggressive birds in another section. I was afraid there might be a domino affect with the other cockerels but it worked out well. One of my pullets is about half the size she should be compared to the other girls her age and I was afraid she might get killed.

You have me curious now about what breed your meat birds are? I may have asked before but forgot.

I guess your right Pam. I've just gotten discouraged/disappointed that I may have picked the wrong breed for our climate.
I'm not giving up. I really like these birds and want to continue with my plan of breeding them. I hate to see them suffer because of my wrong choice of hatching them out in Louisiana.
I wasn't implying that you were telling me what to do :)  I hope you didn't take my post in that way.

I was just thinking that people didn't put fans or kiddie pools out for their chickens in the olden days.

I didn't think that. I know people didn't do that in the olden days.They probally ate them if they looked overly stressed. It does seem to affect them more roosting. Pam

Good morning everyone! I have a question about mosquitos. Does anyone use methods to try to keep them out of the chicken coop or rather decrease their numbers? If yes, please share your methods. We live near a lake and have lots of mosquitos around. Not sure if they bother the chickens so much but the coop seems to have an abundance of mosquitoes in it after dark.

Good morning everyone! I have a question about mosquitos. Does anyone use methods to try to keep them out of the chicken coop or rather decrease their numbers? If yes, please share your methods. We live near a lake and have lots of mosquitos around. Not sure if they bother the chickens so much but the coop seems to have an abundance of mosquitoes in it after dark.

How about growing some herbs like catnip or basil. the scent keep them away. :D

The rain is so wretched that the other day. SIL Clint got stranded when a belt went out. 6" in three hours. It was knee high by the time the tow truch got there. Lol Not a happy camper. :gig

Back
Top Bottom