"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Hey Pam, I'm not sure coke or wine would have helped in this case. There was nothing in her crop except water. There was probably at least a cup of water in the crop. I can't rule out Marek's since I may have exposed my birds to it. Marek's can affect muscles that control the crop and slows down the digestive system. Hopefully it was something else going on. This morning I took the carcass to the Homer Ag extension with the hopes of them testing for Marek's but the Dr./vet is on vacation. Lindsey Poole did a basic necropsy. Marek's is not something they regularly deal with so she didn't know how to take the samples that LSU would need. Two of which were the brain and sciatic nerve. If I lose another it will go to LSU if the vet is not there again.

Thank you for letting us know about Linda's Daughter. That is terrible. Will keep her in my thoughts.

Sorry you have to worry about marek's. That totally sucks that they weren't equipped to test for it .Could she see any reason for your hens death? Pam

Thank you Pam. I'm sorry I have to worry about it also. Well, she thought the spleen looked enlarged as it did to me also, it looked swollen. Also the liver had a kind of mottled look to it but it could have been from being postmortem . Both of those can be caused by Marek's.(Boy! I have learned a lot about this disease lately). She also favored her right leg a bit when she walked. To answer your question, no, she didn't know why she died.

Having Marek's in your flock is not the end of the world though. You can still eat the eggs and butcher to eat. Some breeds are more susceptible than others and a flock can even build up resistance through successive generations. Just can't sell or swap birds with anyone.

I was thinking of you this afternoon. Did you ever see the coyote again? Are you still keeping your birds penned.

I'm collecting eggs from Bieles flock mating to hatch. My Uncle is getting into chickens. When he saw them he thought they were beautiful. So I'm gonna try to hatch him out some. He has grandchildren so they'll be perfect around the kids.

Last edited:

Thank you Pam. I'm sorry I have to worry about it also. Well, she thought the spleen looked enlarged as it did to me also, it looked swollen. Also the liver had a kind of mottled look to it but it could have been from being postmortem . Both of those can be caused by Marek's.(Boy! I have learned a lot about this disease lately). She also favored her right leg a bit when she walked. To answer your question, no, she didn't know why she died.

Having Marek's in your flock is not the end of the world though. You can still eat the eggs and butcher to eat. Some breeds are more susceptible than others and a flock can even build up resistance through successive generations. Just can't sell or swap birds with anyone.

I was thinking of you this afternoon. Did you ever see the coyote again? Are you still keeping your birds penned.

I'm collecting eggs from Bieles flock mating to hatch. My Uncle is getting into chickens. When he saw them he thought they were beautiful. So I'm gonna try to hatch him out some. He has grandchildren so they'll be perfect around the kids.
I just sold two trio"s to a guy who wanted them to raise with his kids. He read how good their temperament is an thought they would be good around kids. I have to agree the biefelder and the niederrheiners are two breeds that are sweet tempered. I'm glad you don't have to cull all your birds the good news is you might night have it. I sure hope it's only a scare. I'm definitely keeping better bioscurity on my flock. I haven't seen the coyotee but Ron thought he caught a glimpse of a fox yesterday. I think it was the coyotee it was a fast glimpse. For the most part I'm still penning them up. I have a few breeds that are more predator savey so I let them out. I let them all out last weekend but we were working by the area they free range on. I hate confining them but it's the only option till we are rid of the coyotee. My dogs of crazy when it is near by so I do get warning but as far as predators go this is a tougher one to catch. Pam

Sorry for your loss! I didn't read your last sentence till after posting. Everyone please keep Linda Brown and her family in your prayers. Her daughter that she lives here with her passed away. Linda had left to visit her other daughter in Canada for less than a week. I haven't spoken with her yet but am sure she is devastated. Please pray for her. Pam

How terrible - have her in our thoughts & prayers.

I just sold two trio"s to a guy who wanted them to raise with his kids. He read how good their temperament is an thought they would be good around kids. I have to agree the biefelder and the niederrheiners are two breeds that are sweet tempered. I'm glad you don't have to cull all your birds the good news is you might night have it. I sure hope it's only a scare. I'm definitely keeping better bioscurity on my flock. I haven't seen the coyotee but Ron thought he caught a glimpse of a fox yesterday. I think it was the coyotee it was a fast glimpse. For the most part I'm still penning them up. I have a few breeds that are more predator savey so I let them out. I let them all out last weekend but we were working by the area they free range on. I hate confining them but it's the only option till we are rid of the coyotee. My dogs of crazy when it is near by so I do get warning but as far as predators go this is a tougher one to catch. Pam

OK I'm behind on things - what are niederrheiners? Can you say that three times fast, lol?!
smile.png

My uncle is soon to start the whole chicken buissness again (he used to raise chickens, not particularly knowing mucch about the breeds) and I was wondering if anybody had chicks 0-3 weeks old for a low price? I will raise them to a couple months old at my house. We need about 15, give or take depending on how many you could sell. Thanks!

Flock of Hens, where are you located? I'm Baton Rouge and have a good bit of eggs in the incubator. There are black old english, mixed bantams, silver laced wyandottes, barnyard mixes, and black copper marans in there right now.

OK I'm behind on things - what are niederrheiners? Can you say that three times fast, lol?! :)

No I don't think I can say it fast three times! Lol! I can hardly get it out one time.:duc they are another rare breed from Germany. Big beautiful birds gentile like Biefelders.i have Lemon coukoo Niederrheiners. Seems like German breeds are named after the town they are from.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom