"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Mine went through a short break also. They are getting back to it though.

Pam, one of my Barbezieux started laying today at 5.5 months. :)

Last edited:
I'm really hoping things go well for my Mottled bantams this coming spring. We have 3 hens and one Cock to give it a go with. The white hen is split to mottled and threw a good number this year. Cookie, the younger mottled frizzled pullet. And a solid black hen that I'm thinking it's a split (we shall find out). And Oreo will be their Sugar Daddy. Lol!

They are beautiful! Love them! Are you planning on showing any of them?

I've kicked the idea around. But if I did it wouldn't be much. I'm not much of a traveler. Like AT ALL! Lol So it would have to be pretty local.

The Gulf Port Show in Baton Rouge is usually in November. It was cancelled this year because of the avian influenza, but there is talk of maybe a spring show. I think I'll be showing my Langshans, black Marans and maybe my Rees legbars, but they are no where near being accepted yet.

The Gulf Port Show in Baton Rouge is usually in November. It was cancelled this year because of the avian influenza, but there is talk of maybe a spring show. I think I'll be showing my Langshans, black Marans and maybe my Rees legbars, but they are no where near being accepted yet.

There is supposed to be one at LSUA in March too. That's close to me. I think it's good to show the birds your working on even if they are not accepted yet. I always like to see them anyway.

There is supposed to be one at LSUA in March too. That's close to me. I think it's good to show the birds your working on even if they are not accepted yet. I always like to see them anyway.

I agree! I love seeing all the birds! I'm trying to post some pictures of my breeders, but my phone is acting up. I think it's good to get birds critiqued. I went to the Marans club conference in November and learned so much! Rip Stavely is president and a show judge. He critiqued my Langshans from pictures and it was really encouraging. But there is a bunch of work in showing and I'll next to start cage training them soon too.

Thought I would share some pictures of my babies now that they are all grown up. They are all rare breeds or rare heritage breeds :) I love them all, they are a joy!

These are my bantam Barnvelders. I love the chevron lacing on the pullets and how proud the roosters look.

These are my Lyonnaise. My rooster is fizzle. I cant wait to discover if the smooth or fizzle gene is dominant! The pullet lays 6-7 eggs a week and they are by far the most predator savvy breed I have!

This big boy is Godzilla. He weighs 13 pounds and is a gentle giant. He is a black Langshan. I am planning on showing him, this is the one Rip looked at and I was encouraged by what he said. The black pullet next to him is a black Marans. The black and blue Marans tend to lay the darkest eggs. She is from Bev Davis through April Howington of Texas Marans. I bought her after I saw the eggs that April had won an egg show with at the Pearl River show. They are also just starting to get the blacks approved by the APA.I'm looking forward to showing her as well.There is also my Rhodebar rooster a Rees Legbar and a Rhodebar pullet as well. The Rhodebars are an auto sexing breed that lay tan eggs. I'll be using them to make some auto sexing easter eggers as well as more Rhodebars.

This is the Rhodebar rooster, he's a bit blurry, but he is a very pretty boy!

This is Goliath, brother to Godzilla. He is a blue Langshan. His color is quite excellent I am very happy with him. Godzilla when standing next to my turkey was only an inch or two shorter. This is really the largest breed I have ever seen! And my Cream Legbar rooster is right behind him.
This is my blue Langshan pullet in the back, the rhodebar in the front. I have a blue and a black. They are all being separated out as soon as I finish my last pen, hopefully this weekend or next. My Barnvelders and Lyonnaise are already separated with eggs making their way into the incubator. :) So excited!
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom