"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Something is trying to get to my friend’s chickens. She has hardware cloth, the lattice is just decoration. But I was wondering if anyone had any ideas what would chew wood this way.

Attachments

• 77DD007F-D122-4001-8E31-8FFF4C6F7F8A.jpeg
    77DD007F-D122-4001-8E31-8FFF4C6F7F8A.jpeg
    384 KB · Views: 3
If it ever stops monsooning and the river don't rise up over Greenwell Springs Rd., I am off until Monday night. Happy to help and it doesn't hurt the chickens at all. Mine act like it is killing them. Why do you want a wing clip? (just curious, some things a wing clip will not help.) It should be in your chicken-owner skill set, though!
I'm sorry I'm just now responding. My in-laws we're here over the weekend.

I want to be able to free range them without them flying up into my trees. I already had one hen go to the top of the run.

Hope y'all stayed dry last week!

I want to be able to free range them without them flying up into my trees. I already had one hen go to the top of the run.

Hope y'all stayed dry last week!
I usually clip mine but I have a new one that flies to the top of the coop then over into my neighbor’s yard. The dog hasn’t been in the yard yet when she does that and the dog will kill her for sure. So far she flies back over to my yard. She needs more lift to get back so I’m afraid to clip her because she wouldn’t be able to get back. To go over there she flies to another lower coop then to the higher coop then over. If her wings are clipped she could still do that. I flip flop on clipping.

Here’s another photo of that critter trying to get into my friends coop.
That looks like rat damage to me. Wharf Rats, also called Norwegian rats, can pretty much chew through anything except metal. As long as they can push against something with their hind legs, they can gnaw a hole in it. Look up "Bucket Rat Traps" online & make your own. They work fairly well. Poison is controversial and can be dangerous to other animals. I have 2 different live traps and all I have ever caught is my own chickens and the cat.
You need to get the rat problem quick -- they multiply exponentially!

That looks like rat damage to me. Wharf Rats, also called Norwegian rats, can pretty much chew through anything except metal. As long as they can push against something with their hind legs, they can gnaw a hole in it. Look up "Bucket Rat Traps" online & make your own. They work fairly well. Poison is controversial and can be dangerous to other animals. I have 2 different live traps and all I have ever caught is my own chickens and the cat.
You need to get the rat problem quick -- they multiply exponentially!
That was my thought as well but my friends think there are no rats around her house. Still that circular gnawing looks like rats.

Hope y'all stayed dry last week
Not a problem, I switch around with shift work. I am working all this coming weekend. PM me if you want me to show you the wing clip. As long as you are just cutting feathers, you should be okay. Did you look for a utube vid or something?

Not a problem, I switch around with shift work. I am working all this coming weekend. PM me if you want me to show you the wing clip. As long as you are just cutting feathers, you should be okay. Did you look for a utube vid or something?
I have watched several. And while they are educational, I learn best by doing. I'll be scared of doing it wrong until I've done it a few times. We're going out of town next weekend, so it may be May before I can meet with you, but I'm ok with that. 😀

Back
Top Bottom