"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Quote:
Sounds like you had a busy day. How was the movie? It looks like it is a good movie. I want to go and see it. Keep an eye on that predator over there.

The movie was great.

I cook my pears in my big Magnalite or Aluminum gumbe pot.

Quote:
Jeff, ya having fun over there will all of those babies?
gig.gif

Stay cool.

Hey there La-yers

Kuntrygirl you know I really do enjoy hatching and raising all those babies, but you know its just like most other intrests too, at times it can just be plum monotonous esp. if your temps. are running a little warmer than normal, but I will have to say I am sorta looking forward to cooler weather but just remember how much a pain in the rump all those FROZEN waters were back in the winter. I'm one that perfers the heat tho' as I always say if I get hot I can sit down and cool back off and get up and go on. If I get cold there "ain't no" sitting down and warming up if your out in the cold, so I'd much rather work in the heat than the cold anyday, cold hands and fingers won't work in my line of duty, but I can almost always have a fan blowing on me when busy in the shop.

BTW all this pics. and talk of preserves and goodies is making me hungry + the smell of frying chicken in the background here is really working on my senses this morning.

welcome-byc.gif
Flyboy 718 yeah come on in here with all the rest of us La-yers.
lol.png

Everybody stay cool,

Jeff

I know what you mean. I get burned out a lot as well. I think I'm burned out right now. I'm just tired. I think if someone would offer me $5.00 to take everything, I probably would sell. LOL

I remember those frozen waterers. I can't remember what I did about the frozen waterers besides using an ice pick.

I just talked to a guy who will be buying some mucsovys from me and he told me that his muscovy hen was sitting on eggs and because it has been so hot, she died. He wasn't able to revive her. So, I just wanted to remind everyone who has broody hens, to make sure that they are cool at all times and have plenty of water. For those of you who are wanting broody hens, think again. This heat is crazy.

Quote:
frow.gif
Hello from over here!!
welcome-byc.gif

I am very happy to have the excess gone. I still have a lot of the chickens,well,mine anyway.DH sold off all his and some of mine...lol. I still have my GCM,BR,Orps,silkies and a couple sets of bantams.And my button quail.Still have a couple cochin hens for sale.Excellent incubators if anyone inerested...lol...

No julie ,he didn't make out near as well as urs.Tony ended up cleaning him last night.Glad to hear you're woring ur numbers down on the ducks. Just be sure to RESIST the urge to replace...lol.I have a few eggs in the bator right now,and when they hatch in a few days,it goes out to the shed with the other two.Today I'm cleaning out all the feeders and waterers not being used right now and storing them in the shed too...

Now quail is what I need to try. They sound easy to raise.

If you decide on some quail,there is a wonderful guy right close to you Julie.He runs a large research,development,and process facility.He has dozens of different breeds of Coturnix quail. Beautiful facility.The only person we deal with on quail.He is an actual certified facility.Wonderful guy.His name is Robbie Richard with James-Marie Farms. He is in Lawtell.Wonderful guy to work with and he continually produces excellent quail.He actually works with various universities on genetics.He helped with the restraining of the Jumbo Texas A&M.He produces REAL jumbo birds!!! My quail produce eggs the size of bantam eggs.They aren't bad to raise,but they waste alot! But if you make ur cages like he and I do,you cut ur feed bill on them in more than half!!! With very little waste.And my averages between M/F have been producing many more females than males.(always a plus...lol)
4 week olds...
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...58058777_100002232118289_183594_5628646_n.jpghttp://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...38058769_100002232118289_183598_8256661_n.jpg http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...48058768_100002232118289_183599_3472275_n.jpg

I'm not hoping for COLD weather,but it will be nice when later October gets here.I like those days...​

VERY nice quail. WOW!!!! Lawtell is not far from me. It's right down the road. What kind of feed do quail need?

Quote:
frow.gif
Hello from over here!!
welcome-byc.gif

I am very happy to have the excess gone. I still have a lot of the chickens,well,mine anyway.DH sold off all his and some of mine...lol. I still have my GCM,BR,Orps,silkies and a couple sets of bantams.And my button quail.Still have a couple cochin hens for sale.Excellent incubators if anyone inerested...lol...

No julie ,he didn't make out near as well as urs.Tony ended up cleaning him last night.Glad to hear you're woring ur numbers down on the ducks. Just be sure to RESIST the urge to replace...lol.I have a few eggs in the bator right now,and when they hatch in a few days,it goes out to the shed with the other two.Today I'm cleaning out all the feeders and waterers not being used right now and storing them in the shed too...

Now quail is what I need to try. They sound easy to raise.

If you decide on some quail,there is a wonderful guy right close to you Julie.He runs a large research,development,and process facility.He has dozens of different breeds of Coturnix quail. Beautiful facility.The only person we deal with on quail.He is an actual certified facility.Wonderful guy.His name is Robbie Richard with James-Marie Farms. He is in Lawtell.Wonderful guy to work with and he continually produces excellent quail.He actually works with various universities on genetics.He helped with the restraining of the Jumbo Texas A&M.He produces REAL jumbo birds!!! My quail produce eggs the size of bantam eggs.They aren't bad to raise,but they waste alot! But if you make ur cages like he and I do,you cut ur feed bill on them in more than half!!! With very little waste.And my averages between M/F have been producing many more females than males.(always a plus...lol)
4 week olds...
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...58058777_100002232118289_183594_5628646_n.jpghttp://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...38058769_100002232118289_183598_8256661_n.jpg http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...48058768_100002232118289_183599_3472275_n.jpg

I'm not hoping for COLD weather,but it will be nice when later October gets here.I like those days...​

VERY nice quail. WOW!!!! Lawtell is not far from me. It's right down the road. What kind of feed do quail need?

I used the gamebird grower then @6 weeks just change to regular layer crumble.I dont use the gamebird layer because it will cause them to blow out. The farm is just off 35? 38?..lol... Pass the ag center on 190 then at the light turn left. an its a few miles back there.On Houston Richard Rd(?). His name is Robbie Richard. Wonderful guy,beautiful place.

How many animals do you all dust, what do you use and how long does it take? What is your process? It's that time again for me and I AM NOT looking forward to it. It takes TOO LONG!!!!!!!
hit.gif

Quote:
Lol just pop in and have your say
lol.png

welcome-byc.gif
from Haughton just right around the corner
thumbsup.gif

Raising quail aint the easiest thing but sure is great eating. I only raise the bobwhite though. Dont much care for the coturnix but thats just a personal thing. Will be grillin up some GG bobs and duck tonight
droolin.gif

And to everyone that aint ever ate duck lol Once you cook it right once you will be hooked especially if you get to eat a few scovy or pekin
smile.png

Julie crock pots don't use enough electrical current to burn your house down
gig.gif
Sure is nice to pop a chicken or roast off in one and come home from work and dinner be waiting for you
wink.png

Hope all is good for everyone its still hottern a hooker in church here and dry enough nats are still causin dust storms.
I personally cant wait for cooler weather. I can put on enough close to warm up but you cant take off enough to cool down (well not without being arrested or scarin the neighbors
gig.gif
)

I don't know why I thought you said they were pretty easy to raise!! Why is it hard?? I don't know anything about them so any information I can get would be appreciated!!

Quote:
I use pedialyte a good bit in my waterers . I have revived several birds using it . Have to force it down them , but have saved a few that were about to bite it . Since I don't have the amount of birds that most of you do , it is not a big expense to me , but it doesn't hurt to have some on hand just in case . If I force fluids I use it right out of the bottle . It's quite amazing to see one bounce back rather quickly using it .

Back
Top Bottom