Louisiana Newbie

RobinB84

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 12, 2014
Marion, LA
Hi! New to chicks and am 3 days in on my first hatch. I have an assortment in my incubator that I am uber excited about. The husband decided to try this last month and did zero research and had zero hatch... hmmmm... So I did what any girl would do and decided to show him how it is done (fingers crossed lol)

Sidenote..... he is not exactly thrilled to have Silkies for our first hatch :) I am!

Hoping to learn from the community and get in on some fun!

Best of luck! I have to side with your husband, as I am not a huge silkie fan, because I raise my birds for egg production. They are unique birds though, and extremely friendly. Most of what you read on here about hatching is great information. Just remember to keep things simple. Don't panic when something appears to go wrong. You're probably doing a great job. Hatches can be tough also, as unfortunately not ever egg makes it, and then after that a few chicks will not survive. However, it is absolutely awesome to quite literally raise a living creature from its birth all the way through its life. You can really don't do that with chickens! Congrats on getting chickens and welcome to BYC!

welcome-byc.gif
Good luck with your poultry raising adventures, and I hope you find everything you need to know. Don't forget to take a look at BYC's very useful learning center (If you haven't already)! The learning center as well as the forum should answer your questions! There is always something new to learn! Glad to have you here! See you around with the flock.

Happy to be here and so far so good. We have a toddler that will be so excited about the chickens with "crazy hair" haha

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck with your hatch! Silkies are really really cute and make good pets, maybe the cuteness of the chicks will win your husband over to their side.

images

Welcome to BYC!

Good luck with the hatch! If you need any tips along the way, stop by this article in our learning center on hatching eggs....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-to-incubate-hatch-eggs-just-21-days-from-egg-to-chicken

If you run into any troubles along the way too, you can also ask some questions in our Hatching Eggs Forums for lots of help...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/5/incubating-hatching-eggs

Good luck and keep us posted on the hatch! Welcome to our flock!

Thanks for the links! I have read the hatching 101 about ten times and have not mastered the art of candling lol so any pictures are awesome too. I have seen several articles on it but am trying to be prepared for my 1st 7 day candling. And also silkie hatching articles. There is so much to read! :)

Back
Top Bottom