louisiana sticks

LA~Poulet :

Hi Cally! I am loving my 3 large buff brahma chicks we hatched a month ago... do you ever sell hatching eggs?

I received my Brahmas as day old chicks on March 4. Only one of the hens laid eggs (early, at 18 wks), then she just stopped. The other LB hen has not laid an egg yet. I estimate them to be 20 weeks old right now.
I am terrified to try and hatch an egg. I bought Silkies to do that job...I am sure I would fry every egg I tried to hatch, or freeze the poor little darlin's to death. No way I'm going to do it with an inkybator. If I have eggs to sell one day, I will figure out how to pack them safely and let you know. I ate all the first eggs I had...Now I'm just waiting patiently for more eggs.
I ordered more Brahmas - 8 buff and 7 dark...the dark ones are the loveliest creatures and the buffs are lovely too, only the buffs look kind of sad right now because they pecked one another's back and tail feathers almost completely away. I am treating them now, and have separated the buffs so they won't be so crowded, and they have improved a great deal. The dark B's are very calm, but they have really changed in the past couple of weeks. At first they were kind of aggressive and pecked my hand when I put it inside the crate, but now they are much more 'calm'. The buffs are kinda wild right now...reason unknown...but I'm thinking they might change and calm down a bit before too long. They are all the most precious babies - I overload myself with chickens and nearly kill myself making sure they are well-cared-for. Can't stand a speck of dirt in their water, or too many poops in their shavings. And I fuss at the roosters as though they are wayward children. I am hoping I will get over this 'phase' and relax before too much longer. I have learned a lot on this site and some of it has really helped me with a few problems I encountered along the way.
Back to your question....would like to sell eggs later when I have enough to sell. Do you have any dark brahma chicks? I only have pullets, so I guess I won't be having any fertilized eggs...but there MIGHT be a rooster among the buffs. I have a LBrahma rooster and he is SOME rooster - elegant looking - struts his stuff!​

Last edited:
Hey everybody! Phoebe (tattooedchickenlady) posted about having another get together in the Chickenstocks, Auctions, Shows & Swaps section. You all should check it out. It would be cool to arrange another get together. Hopefully I will be able to actually make it to this one!

Last edited:
Hello from Baton Rouge! Can have up to three hens- no roos
barnie.gif

Last edited:
Hello all Louisiana folks!!! I am not originally from here but we call ourselves "transplants!!!" We (DH, myself and DS) moved here back in 1999 from Alabama due to the Army moving us. We "hate to admit it" came here kicking and screaming! We are from the North (Michigan and Massachusetts) and we had spent the last 20 years moving further and further away from our families! We truly wanted to move closer...be careful how you laugh at God's plans cuz he can laugh harder and louder!!! We have now been here 11 years and call it home! Can't imagine living anywhere else!!! We live in Leesville, right outside Fort Polk. I was in the Army for 16 years and DH served 22 years. Dh had always wanted a rooster and I rebelled. Why have a roo if you don't have any ladies for him!! So a great friend (like a Dad to me) of ours was raising Buff Orpingtons and he talked one day about it...the rest is history!!! We made building the coop and yard into a 2 month weekend family project and now everyone says our feathered kids live in luxury!!! My friend started us out with 5 Buffs (1 roo and what we thought were 4 pullets)...ended up giving away 2 cockerels!! We quickly added 6 Black Australorps which are beautiful!! (Have 3 left - gave away 1 roo and something got 2 that flew over the fence). 4 weeks later, added 8 more of different varieties and have 2 of them left...again didn't clip wings quick enough or had to give away cuz of being roos! Sooooo..current flock is Rocky (main man - Buff Orpington), Butterfinger and Goldilocks (Buff ladies), the 3 BA ladies (call them Larry, Mo and Curly- I know!!! they are girls not guys!!), Lucky - a Dominique roo, Hawkeye - a Brown legger, and 2 RIR girls we rescued from being left at the fair...I call them my Spice Girls - Cinnamon and Nutmeg!! We also currently have 6 - 4 week old Barred Rock and 5 - 4 week old Silver Laced Wyandottes under one heat lamp. The other lamp has 5 - 2 week old Production Reds, 10 - 1 week old Americanas and 4 - 1 week old Buffs. DH says enough right now til spring!!! I still would like some Cuckoo Marans and some Welsummers for their dark brown eggs!! See what he gets for wanting a Rooster!!!! LOL

Hello from Louisiana!

Havent got my first flock yet but me and father plan to build us a coop before spring hits.

This website has been invaluable in guiding me through this process

Hello everyone i am new to this i was trying to see if anyone was selling some guinea hens in louisiana thanks rachel

Back
Top Bottom