Lousy flock?

Pics
Would someone really "tattle" on you if you went a bit larger to allow for two more girls?? I just like having more than two just to allow for one girl never being alone should something happen to one of them. I have lost 3 girls over the course of the past few years, but I signed up for the chicken math and have over 15 girls and counting. I am also very fortunate to not live in the city. Good luck to you!
Probably not, although with a county road behind our backyard the wrong person could notice. The chickens in town debate was a big deal so while I'm willing to push the size limitations a tad, I prefer to adhere to the spirit of the ordinances

I do worry that I will lose one. My EE has laying issues and we almost lost her a few months ago. It gets cold here in Washington and I worry with 2 they won't create enough heat. I don't heat my coop so their little bodies have to work. The good news is my other two are a huge BA and a "special" chunky SS.. They are all so cute together.
Check out Sweeter Heaters. Add a Thermocube to the plug, and the sweeterheater will only get electricity when the temperature falls below freezing, and it will cease to get electricity when the temperature rises to approx. 45F. Infra-red heat, too, flat-panel, and they can move away from it.

Oh my then I guess everyone should keep their Chickens in jail because of predators that may or may not come?
I lose one (mine are pets) nearly every spring and fall because they REALLY want the run of the yard, and are going to be cooped up all winter. (Previously only had bantams who wouldn't TOUCH the snow; this is my first year with standards.) You have to choose; risk of loss is very real, but a dirt run compared with a luscious lawn and flower beds? Life is short; no sense to me in making it boring and miserable. I get more cautious about the times of day, and length of time they are out of the coop, when the migratory birds are gone. Don't have the heart to lock them up until I have to, though.

O.k firstly television rots your brain lol!
Secondly the only.downside to two is if somebody dies....it is sooo bad.
Now here's the kicker, three will be hellish the two original girls will be awful to a newbie sooo you gotta have four.
See how quickly this kind of stuff escalates?:gig
I'm new to chickens & have two 9 week old slw. I saw a segment on tv that intimated it's cruel to have a flock of only two members. Due to coop size restrictions (city ordinance), I feel I can provide safe foraging & high quality of life for only two (these are pets by the way). My girls seem happy, but I wonder if they would prefer a larger flock? Honest opinions welcome.

You should get through your first winter with the current flock and then make adjustments next spring (new coop, chick additions)

Last year was my first winter with my 3 chickens. My coop is 4X4, run was 44sqf. Believe me, when weather keeps them in, that space was really to small. I didn't wrap the run, I just covered it so snow came in the sides.

This year I extended the run a bit, it is now to 64sqf and will wrap the entire thing with clear heavy duty plastic and vent the top sides. I'm also in the process of building an 8X4' coop, not including nest boxes. I think the extra space will be appreciated.

Just my 2cents...

Back
Top Bottom