Lousy flock?

So you have the exact same coop I started with. In the interest of full disclosure, with that coop, adding my 3rd girl did sort of upset the applecart. It took a while after they were comfortable in the yard together for them to let the new hen into the coop at night. ( she slept in a rabbit hutch meanwhile) After about a week of her attempts to roost with them, they gave in and let her in. BUT then Agatha (the one I lost this summer) started sleeping in the nest box. Not that big of a deal to me, really, but I figured that was a sign that the girls felt too constricted. So I built a bigger coop, still small, but they liked it and were happy. Of course, then I had to build a new run, so I went as big as I could manage by myself (120 sf). So room to add more chickens. But I kept the clubhouse coop, and when I added the new pullets, it was perfect for first, quarantine on my patio, away from my big girls, and then moved it in the chicken yard adjacent to the run, for "look but don't touch" introduction. The three girls I've added still sleep happily snuggled together in the clubhouse, as they all grew up together. So, three could be done, it all depends on your individual hens.

So you have the exact same coop I started with. In the interest of full disclosure, with that coop, adding my 3rd girl did sort of upset the applecart. It took a while after they were comfortable in the yard together for them to let the new hen into the coop at night. ( she slept in a rabbit hutch meanwhile) After about a week of her attempts to roost with them, they gave in and let her in. BUT then Agatha (the one I lost this summer) started sleeping in the nest box. Not that big of a deal to me, really, but I figured that was a sign that the girls felt too constricted. So I built a bigger coop, still small, but they liked it and were happy. Of course, then I had to build a new run, so I went as big as I could manage by myself (120 sf). So room to add more chickens. But I kept the clubhouse coop, and when I added the new pullets, it was perfect for first, quarantine on my patio, away from my big girls, and then moved it in the chicken yard adjacent to the run, for "look but don't touch" introduction. The three girls I've added still sleep happily snuggled together in the clubhouse, as they all grew up together. So, three could be done, it all depends on your individual hens.
The coop is cute, which I appreciate living in town, but the run is narrow. I'm adding perches as they grow to make use of vertical space. I just ordered a small extendable handle rake as the narrow run is difficult to clean, I still must get down on my ground to clean this run. Less than a month in & I see a new coop in my future. This hobby ain't cheap

I just ordered a small extendable handle rake as the narrow run is difficult to clean, I still must get down on my ground to clean this run
I raised mine up, and use DLM (deep litter method), because yes, it is hard to reach, and narrow. My girls have a covered yard to run in, so are not confined to the attached run, unless I have to go out and will not be back before dark. I did the tractor thing, but that was too much. I'm also toying with the idea of switching the door to the center, for easier access.

I raised mine up, and use DLM (deep litter method), because yes, it is hard to reach, and narrow. My girls have a covered yard to run in, so are not confined to the attached run, unless I have to go out and will not be back before dark. I did the tractor thing, but that was too much. I'm also toying with the idea of switching the door to the center, for easier access.
I like the idea of door in center, since I'm not a cortionist & my arms aren't 6' long to clean from top. When I'm home I get them out of that run. You're lucky you can go larger!!

You're lucky you can go larger!!
Yes, I am. I will never understand places that put size restrictions on coops. I do get it that the goal is to prevent huge eyesores for the neighborhoods, but the sizes are ridiculously small, and inconvenient for most folks as usually don't accommodate walkin coops. One thing you could do, (or try, at least) since you seem mostly concerned with hawks, is a pop up canopy, staked to the ground, and wrapped in bird netting. It is not a permanent structure, so the town can't really say anything. It probably won't do for snow, but give you something meanwhile. And definitely consider raising up your coop. I used 2x6 boards, like this. Hardware cloth stapled to the bottom and also secured with screws and fender washers to keep diggers out. I put cardboard over it to protect their feet.
little house on the patio 8:19.JPG

Yes, I am. I will never understand places that put size restrictions on coops. I do get it that the goal is to prevent huge eyesores for the neighborhoods, but the sizes are ridiculously small, and inconvenient for most folks as usually don't accommodate walkin coops. One thing you could do, (or try, at least) since you seem mostly concerned with hawks, is a pop up canopy, staked to the ground, and wrapped in bird netting. It is not a permanent structure, so the town can't really say anything. It probably won't do for snow, but give you something meanwhile. And definitely consider raising up your coop. I used 2x6 boards, like this. Hardware cloth stapled to the bottom and also secured with screws and fender washers to keep diggers out. I put cardboard over it to protect their feet.View attachment 1921041
Excellent idea, higher is better. My coop/run is attached to 2x4 base, but going higher is a great idea. Thank you!

Yes, I am. I will never understand places that put size restrictions on coops. I do get it that the goal is to prevent huge eyesores for the neighborhoods, but the sizes are ridiculously small, and inconvenient for most folks as usually don't accommodate walkin coops. One thing you could do, (or try, at least) since you seem mostly concerned with hawks, is a pop up canopy, staked to the ground, and wrapped in bird netting. It is not a permanent structure, so the town can't really say anything. It probably won't do for snow, but give you something meanwhile. And definitely consider raising up your coop. I used 2x6 boards, like this. Hardware cloth stapled to the bottom and also secured with screws and fender washers to keep diggers out. I put cardboard over it to protect their feet.View attachment 1921041
I like the pop up canopy also, sounds easier on my back

Would someone really "tattle" on you if you went a bit larger to allow for two more girls?? I just like having more than two just to allow for one girl never being alone should something happen to one of them. I have lost 3 girls over the course of the past few years, but I signed up for the chicken math and have over 15 girls and counting. I am also very fortunate to not live in the city. Good luck to you!

another idea if you can't go higher is go wider if you have the room, I built my coop with an 2 sides so I could use the other side for storing feed and tools for the yard and coop. well ended up making a hole in the wall they can go over to the other side , it gives them more space, but now I have to do another add on the side which I do have room for and no not cutting another hole for them to go through, for my tools and the feed lol

Back
Top Bottom