1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Love my sweeter heater!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chris10sen, Dec 15, 2010.

1. chris10sen

chris10sen Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2010
    So I live in MN and was going back and forth about heating the coop. I really was ready not to but I got cold feet when I looked at the 10 day forecast. My lovely DH put up my sweeter heater on Friday morning right before the winter storm from he**. The heater is great. It only raises the coop temperature by about 10 degrees. But considering it was -13 the other night, zero seemed alright to me. Pancake likes to sleep with her face right next to it. It is very cute. So I give it two thumbs up!

2. MamaChic21

MamaChic21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    great idea [​IMG], love your coop too [​IMG]

3. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    I know people don't like heating coops, but in weather like that I'd have to heat or move 'em in the house!!

4. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    Looked it up on line. That looks like a really good idea. What size did you get?

Quote:

5. chris10sen

chris10sen Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2010
    There was only a $10 price difference at the store I purchased it at so I went with the larger one.

6. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I am thinking I will get one in but I am not sure what size to go with. I like the 11x11 but how much of my brooder box will it heat?
    I am just so afraid of those heat lamps burning down my barn that I was wondering if the Sweeter Heater would be worth the cost. I have 6 brooders running most of the time with different size bulbs depending on size of brooder and how old the chicks are.

Anyone else with testimonials or answers?

7. sharol

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    I'm not sure it has enough power to heat a brooder adequately. My 100 watt red lamp was fine when the chicks got a little older, but I had to buy a 250 for the first couple of weeks last summer. I get the idea that these are a less focused heat, but also less heat. I would think that only the part of the brooder directly under (or beside) this heater would be warmed. The larger one is only 100 watts.

Don't have one yet, so I'm not sure. Maybe the OP will reply back about it.

Quote:

8. WestKnollAmy

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Whoa! You had to use 250 wts for chicks in the summer? [​IMG] I don't even use that in the winter here when it is 20-30 degrees outside. I mostly use a 75 or 100 wt in my brooders.
    I have insulation on the ceiling and the north wall of my brooder room and it does get down to about 30 in there but I cover my brooders and have the heat lamps going so they seem warm but I sure do worry about one getting knocked down and a fire starting. I have them hung on the walls with nails and a bungee cord as added safety but one never knows.

9. sharol

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    This was in air conditioning -- remember, they have to have an area that is 90-95 degrees for the first week or two. After that I went back to the 100. It was hung from a metal bracket screwed to a cross beam in the ceiling.

Quote:

10. WestKnollAmy

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Oh! That makes more sense. You kept them in the house. Whew, I was wondering about those hot blooded chicks.
    But still, I put 24 hour old chicks down in the brooders at the barn with only a 100 wt bulb in the winter. They would love a 250 probably but they do very well with the other. I just hate having 6 of those up when I am hatching full blast in the fall and winter. My power company, however, loves me to pieces.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by