Love this color but what is it?

Susan Skylark

Chirping
Apr 9, 2024
IMGP6699.jpeg

I have three chicks that look like this and two pearls. I was thinking the three darker ones like this that were coming in with beige feathers along with the black and white were heterozygous fee while the lighter, plain black and white ones were homozygous fee? Or is this some sort of pansy/calico thing? I have no idea on the pattern enhancers yet! Thanks!

View attachment 3830741

I have three chicks that look like this and two pearls. I was thinking the three darker ones like this that were coming in with beige feathers along with the black and white were heterozygous fee while the lighter, plain black and white ones were homozygous fee? Or is this some sort of pansy/calico thing? I have no idea on the pattern enhancers yet! Thanks!
View attachment 3830741

That appears to be a pansy fee

7EAAF59A-CCF6-4711-9A84-72C66B156A67.jpeg

How about this guy? I’ve been calling it a pearl, is it a homozygous pansy fee? How does pansy affect base color: totally replaces it or partial modification, ie does the phenotype vary between a pansy with fawn vs wild vs EB base? Can’t find much info out there on the particulars.

How about this guy? I’ve been calling it a pearl, is it a homozygous pansy fee? How does pansy affect base color: totally replaces it or partial modification, ie does the phenotype vary between a pansy with fawn vs wild vs EB base? Can’t find much info out there on the particulars.
Per https://www.southwestgamebirds.com/genetics/

"Pansy, also known as Redhead or Rotkopf, is a phenotype caused by a recessive mutation on the Extended Brown Locus. It causes the plumage to lighten on the base of the bird to a yellowish brown, and changes the feather striation to barring. Each feather has a thick black bar, a light brown bar, and a narrow white bar on the outside edge of the feather. This gives the bird a mottled look throughout the body. Males have a red mask making them easy to distinguish from hens."

My assumption based on SWGB's description is that it is both a color and pattern modification that replaces EB as it's on the same locus, thus you cannot have an extended brown pansy bird. It's autosomal recessive and so you can't have a heterozygous pansy. It seems like you can have pansy mix with other modifiers on different gene locuses, so you could have a pansy fawn (Italian/Manchurian), pansy fee, etc, but this is all me guessing, haha.

Back
Top Bottom