Lovebirds....

missypie255

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 1, 2011
Are Lovebirds messy?
Would one girl be loud?
Are they very agressive?
Is the clicker method of training the best way to make them friendly?
Do they fly around in their cage a lot if I took theem out often and played with them?
Are they a one-person bird?
And do any of y'all now breeders in Georgia?
And could y'all post pictures of your's? I want to see all the different colors?

Thanks!!!!

Sorry about this being off topic.. But I have to say it!

It is so funny how you said about clicker training! I just started clicker training my rabbit.
big_smile.png
(He
love.gif
LOVES
love.gif
his yogurt treats! I am teaching him to spin around.
big_smile.png
He did it with the treat, but not the carrot!
tongue.png
Funny bunny! )

Quote:
Yes, very messy. Mine make 'bird soup' out of their water daily (2 birds to a cage).

Quote:
I personally don't think they are loud, but I'm sure some people would think they're loud. It's a mater of your preference. I've raised cockatiels (thought they were too loud), quakers (OMG, too loud), had a Moluccan cockatoo to re-home for a day (over-my-limit for loud), but the lovebirds are my favorite because I think they're relatively quiet.
Quote:
If you buy a bird that is not hand-tame, yes, very aggressive and will bring blood with any bite.
Quote:
Never tried clicker training so cannot comment on that. I raised peachfaced lovebirds for 10 years and I've never successfully tamed one down to where I could hold it w/o shedding blood. If you want a sweet, tame bird, get one that has been hand fed and imprinted on humans. They are worth it.
Quote:
They love to play and tear paper. My bird's favorite 'toy' is junk mail.
Quote:
Some are, some aren't. They all have their own distinct personalities. Most of mine will go to anybody, but I'm sure there are some that are one-person birds.
Quote:
Pick up a copy of Bird Talk magazine and you can find a list of bird shows in your area. Go to one of them and play w/the birds and see if you can find one you like.
Quote:
I'll do that as soon as I am allowed to post pictures...Not sure when that'll be though.

The pic of the lovebirds in your avatar are blue-series pied peachfaced lovebirds. Very beautiful too.

Quote:
Yes-- nearly all birds are messy. It is in their nature. Most parrots in the wild spend most of their day foraging-- looking for food, tossing and chewing things, etc. Nature 'uses' birds to distribute seeds quite often. They are messy, and dusty.

Quote:
This depends on who you ask. Some people feel that lovebirds are not loud. I've worked with many, many parrot species over the years and lovebirds are one parrot that drives me up the wall. I could never have one in my home because the noise would drive me to insanity. Yet I can handle macaw screaming-- which is much louder in decibels!! It is the pitch and regular chatter of lovebirds that makes me crazy. You must honestly look at how you deal with noise to decide if it would bother you or not. Spend as much time as you can around lovebirds at pet stores or a parrot rescue.

Quote:
Aggression is parrots is very often misunderstood. Usually biting happens because we have ignored the parrot's warnings-- to the parrot, they are clearly telling you off and then a bite is the last resort. To us, the body language is very subtle and hard to understand. There is not a good answer to this question, but I personally believe that with enough patience and working on trust, most parrots can learn to enjoy human companionship, or at least tolerate it. It just matters how much time and patience you honestly feel you can dedicate to this. It took me over two years of daily work with one of my parrots before she would step onto my hand. Most people do not have that sort of patience with an animal. Just food for thought!

Quote:
Patience, trust, and positive reinforcement training are the best way to make them friendly. Clicker training can absolutely be used on parrots. This is an in-depth subject that would take me hours to write about here, so may I suggest Barbara Heidenreich's writings: http://www.goodbirdinc.com/
She
has some great free youtube videos, too.

Quote:
I am not sure exactly what you mean here. Parrots need a lot of excersize and recreation in order to stay healthy and happy. How you do this depends on you. If you can have your bird out of the cage for at least 2-3 hours a day, and give it room to play and excersize, that's great. If not, consider getting a cage large enough for him or her to fly in comfortably. For a lovebird, at least, this is more easy to do indoors. I'd recommend at least 32"x22"x60". Even if you take your bird out often, a large cage will be easier to clean and give the bird more room to play when you can't have them out.
smile.png

Quote:
As the previous poster said, some are, and some are not. They are all individuals!

Quote:
There are lots of lovebirds in rescues and that are unwanted. Try petfinder.com ... even if you want to get one from a breeder instead, it's a great idea to volunteer at a rescue so you can spend time with the birds beforehand to make sure it's what you want. Some rescues allow you to foster a bird.

Some of my lovies.

Wilma - Blue series pied
Wilma2.jpg

Taffy - Blue series single dark factor violet
Taffy.jpg

Margalo - Green series pied
04-04-05Margalo.jpg

Spitfire - Dutch blue which is blue series
100_3142.jpg

Olivia - Double dark factor orange faced olive
1048.jpg

Elizabeth - Orange faced Australian cinnamon
Elizabeth021.jpg

Elizabeth and Olivia
OE005.jpg

Spitfire, Elizabeth, Olivia - Elizabeth has just filled her tail with strips of paper and has one in her beak.
100_2451.jpg

Elizabeth, Olivia, Spitfire
100_3132.jpg

A close up of Elizabeth's tail. She has a pretty strip of orange in her tail. In peachfaced lovebirds, that strip is the color of the bird's forehead, i.e. Dutch blue has a peach colored forehead therefore Spitfire's tail has a peach colored strip in it. A normal colored lovie with the red face will have a red strip in their tail.
10-28-07Elizabethstail.jpg

Four blue series babies
200501-29Blues.jpg

Group of miscellaneous babies.
Bottom left is an Australian Cinnamon. The one in the back on the left is Gracie, a blue series pied.
The two in the middle are green series pieds. In back on right is a Dutch blue.
The one in the front on the right is a normal green series bird like you would find in the wild.
These are all baby colors as these birds were only about 5-6 weeks old here.
200501-29GroupShot.jpg

I love the pictures!!!! I'm in love with lovebirds!!!! Thanks for the replies!!!

I have one little lovie!! Her name is Etu and she's a doll!!!

While all birds are messy.. one can be very friendly. She'll bond to you as Etu has bonded to me!

I love my love birds!!

I have a love bird. He is very loud, but friendly. He's very pretty, too, and his name is Tweeters.
lol.png

Sometimes he bangs the door of his bird cage up and down, which is really annoying, but I still like him!
big_smile.png

Lovebirds are generally friendly to humans if you play with them every day (Otherwise they'll start being "bad") but not very much with other birds. Like all birds, they are MESSY!!!
Have you ever had another caged bird? If not, you should start with a cockatiel or a budgie
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom