Lovin those chickens

Upsideofthedown

In the Brooder
Oct 21, 2020
Bakersfield CA
So, 5 hens, 2 roos, all were “easter presents”, soon to be discarded (?). Well, i fell in love with every single one, 3 brown, one black and white, one all white! Roo came as a game cock with deformities, but loved him too. When he passed it was so strange as i sat in the cage while he scurried to a corner then back to take a few bites and drinks from the buffet of all his favorites i had provided that day. Then, as if to not want his hens to see him, he got into the farthest corner, threw his head back, expanded his wings to capacity (some say im nuts, but i saw this) and a bright purplish light seemed to appear, then he died. I cried like a baby, which still to this day gets me emotional. Short story long (sorry), i am here today with only a rooster, i brought him home as a teenager from the feed store, and hes been a pure pleasure. My last hen died last night, she was 8 years old, i dont know what to do, can i get 4 new hens, im finding it hard to find grown up chickens, and chicks i suppose are out out if the question. Dunno

So, 5 hens, 2 roos, all were “easter presents”, soon to be discarded (?). Well, i fell in love with every single one, 3 brown, one black and white, one all white! Roo came as a game cock with deformities, but loved him too. When he passed it was so strange as i sat in the cage while he scurried to a corner then back to take a few bites and drinks from the buffet of all his favorites i had provided that day. Then, as if to not want his hens to see him, he got into the farthest corner, threw his head back, expanded his wings to capacity (some say im nuts, but i saw this) and a bright purplish light seemed to appear, then he died. I cried like a baby, which still to this day gets me emotional. Short story long (sorry), i am here today with only a rooster, i brought him home as a teenager from the feed store, and hes been a pure pleasure. My last hen died last night, she was 8 years old, i dont know what to do, can i get 4 new hens, im finding it hard to find grown up chickens, and chicks i suppose are out out if the question. Dunno

What state are you in ? Welcome to Backyard Chickens tough time huh
someone on your state thread may have older birds you could get

I don't think you are nuts at all. When one of my rescue keeshonds -- who had congestive heart failure -- had to be put down, I took her to the vet on a cloudy, cold day. As I got her out of the car, suddenly, and for no reason I can explain -- a rainbow appeared in the sky. It doesn't rain in Iowa in winter.

I hope you are able to find whatever chickens you need. I am sorry for the loss of your last hen, and I welcome you to BYC.

Back
Top Bottom