Loving chickens

mcdsingh

In the Brooder
Oct 18, 2020
My name is Megan and I have wanted chickens since I was a child and my (in town) neighbor had 5 chickens (breaking city bylaws), and my sister and I would get to collect eggs whenever he would go away. Fast forward almost 30 years later, after more than 10 years researching chicken keeping, and convincing my city bound husband that we needed to live out of town because I wanted chickens, I finally got my acreage, and got my first batch of 30 (it was supposed to be 6) day old chicks in April, much to the disapproval of my husband because we hadn't even built a coop yet. I said "well now we have the chickens, we have 6 weeks to get the coop built".

Since then, through trading, selling, dispatching Roos, and acquiring 27 more chicks in July, adopting 12 mature hens in August, and just recently three baby ducks and 14 one month old chicks, I currently have 56 chickens and three baby ducks. I have ameraucanas, silkies, old English game bantams, olive Eggers, Isa Browns, silver laced Wyandottes, golden laced Wyandottes, blue laced red Wyandottes (my newest babies so I'm very excited), and khaki Campbell ducks, with pickup pending for three adult Pekin ducks, and possibly some polish.

This while thing started "for the eggs", and has turned into a love of the birds. I can just sit and watch them constantly. Even my husband enjoys them, as long as he doesn't have to do the work. My kids (boys at 5yo and 3yo) are thrilled, and love the chickens almost as much as I do. My oldest would wake me up in the morning because he wasn't allowed to hold the babies unless I was with them. Even with our third batch of chicks they are still as excited to watch them. They love collecting the eggs (even with the snow we now have) and love hand feeding treats to the girls (and our vast amount of Roos that we still have)

Other than chickens, we have three large dogs (two boxer cross 1yo pups and a 10 yo lab shepherd cross), a Siamese cat, my boys' Betta, and a huge collony of mealworms that we have been raising for the birds (they are entertaining in their own way).

My husband and I own a furniture and appliances store in a small town in North Central Alberta, close to the rocky mountains. I homeschool my very smart boys, and we spend a lot of time outside kayaking, hiking, camping, and just "exploring nature" as my boys like to call it. My 5yo regularly tells me how much he loves our new home (been on the acreage 1 year now) "because of all the nature". It makes my heart swell to see these boys thoroughly immersed in the outdoors, rain shine or snow, learning about animals, trees, moss, mushrooms, and all the local edible plants. How many kids at 4 could tell the difference between a conifer tree and a deciduous tree, and be able to correctly identify a spruce, a pine, and juniper, and know the difference between a pine cone, a spruce cone, and a fir cone. Sorry, I'm a proud momma who loves nature and Science. Which my motivation for my kids to get their least favorite subjects done is by tempting them with science experiments... Gosh they wake me up with their experiment books asking "can we do this one today?"

My kids are my world, and our chickens are an exciting part of that. We are hoping to get a greenhouse built by the spring, and hopefully a barn built next summer so we can get some goats, a miniature Scottish Highland, and maybe a couple riding ponies.

As for how I found BYC, well it has been a large part of my research over the last few years, with many of my questions and dilemmas being solved by posts I have found here through Pinterest searches. I would say easily over 50% of my pins in my "chicken" Pinterest folder links me back to BYC. I figured that if I refer here this often, I should finally join the community.

My name is Megan and I have wanted chickens since I was a child and my (in town) neighbor had 5 chickens (breaking city bylaws), and my sister and I would get to collect eggs whenever he would go away. Fast forward almost 30 years later, after more than 10 years researching chicken keeping, and convincing my city bound husband that we needed to live out of town because I wanted chickens, I finally got my acreage, and got my first batch of 30 (it was supposed to be 6) day old chicks in April, much to the disapproval of my husband because we hadn't even built a coop yet. I said "well now we have the chickens, we have 6 weeks to get the coop built".

Since then, through trading, selling, dispatching Roos, and acquiring 27 more chicks in July, adopting 12 mature hens in August, and just recently three baby ducks and 14 one month old chicks, I currently have 56 chickens and three baby ducks. I have ameraucanas, silkies, old English game bantams, olive Eggers, Isa Browns, silver laced Wyandottes, golden laced Wyandottes, blue laced red Wyandottes (my newest babies so I'm very excited), and khaki Campbell ducks, with pickup pending for three adult Pekin ducks, and possibly some polish.

This while thing started "for the eggs", and has turned into a love of the birds. I can just sit and watch them constantly. Even my husband enjoys them, as long as he doesn't have to do the work. My kids (boys at 5yo and 3yo) are thrilled, and love the chickens almost as much as I do. My oldest would wake me up in the morning because he wasn't allowed to hold the babies unless I was with them. Even with our third batch of chicks they are still as excited to watch them. They love collecting the eggs (even with the snow we now have) and love hand feeding treats to the girls (and our vast amount of Roos that we still have)

Other than chickens, we have three large dogs (two boxer cross 1yo pups and a 10 yo lab shepherd cross), a Siamese cat, my boys' Betta, and a huge collony of mealworms that we have been raising for the birds (they are entertaining in their own way).

My husband and I own a furniture and appliances store in a small town in North Central Alberta, close to the rocky mountains. I homeschool my very smart boys, and we spend a lot of time outside kayaking, hiking, camping, and just "exploring nature" as my boys like to call it. My 5yo regularly tells me how much he loves our new home (been on the acreage 1 year now) "because of all the nature". It makes my heart swell to see these boys thoroughly immersed in the outdoors, rain shine or snow, learning about animals, trees, moss, mushrooms, and all the local edible plants. How many kids at 4 could tell the difference between a conifer tree and a deciduous tree, and be able to correctly identify a spruce, a pine, and juniper, and know the difference between a pine cone, a spruce cone, and a fir cone. Sorry, I'm a proud momma who loves nature and Science. Which my motivation for my kids to get their least favorite subjects done is by tempting them with science experiments... Gosh they wake me up with their experiment books asking "can we do this one today?"

My kids are my world, and our chickens are an exciting part of that. We are hoping to get a greenhouse built by the spring, and hopefully a barn built next summer so we can get some goats, a miniature Scottish Highland, and maybe a couple riding ponies.

As for how I found BYC, well it has been a large part of my research over the last few years, with many of my questions and dilemmas being solved by posts I have found here through Pinterest searches. I would say easily over 50% of my pins in my "chicken" Pinterest folder links me back to BYC. I figured that if I refer here this often, I should finally join the community.

🐥🐥🐥WELCOME 🐥🐥🐥
ENJOY YOUR STAY HERE.
🐣🐓🐣🐓🐣🐓🐣🐓🐣🐓

Back
Top Bottom