Loving The Sandbox

CheekyChooks

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 22, 2011
Doncaster
In the chicken run I put a fairly small box, about the size of a nest area full of sand for bathing etc ... I've noticed they love this box soooo much they all cram in it and sleep all night in it (all 8 six 6 week olds). They are literally crammed in I can't get over how they've managed it!

I've moved them some nights into the coop for warmth and in the hopes they will go back to roosting but the next nigh they are down there again. Its raining tonight and again they are all snoozing in the sandbox. Is this normal? I've noticed they sunbathe and rest in it during the day too but usually just one or two ... not all of them.

I think I'm going to need a bigger sandbox if this keeps up and maybe put one inside the coop to encourage them to sleep upstairs.

Any thoughts/advice?

Last edited:
YOU HAVE A SILKIE IT IS SOOO CUTE!
And also, yes, when the chickens are younger, like the age you described, they will probably sleep on the floor. just put them on the roosts every night until they realize that they should sleep there. AND ONE MORE THING...

HOW DARE YOU SAY THIS BUT POST NO PICTURES??????
somad.gif
rant.gif

I know ... its too dark to take pictures but I'll catch them tomorrow!

I've left them the past few nights assuming they will make their own choice on where they want to sleep but I'm not sure if natural roosting instinct is gonna win this one ... they REALLY love sand!

Back
Top Bottom