Low Egg production

sarashorbs

Hatching
Apr 28, 2017
I have buff orps that are a little over 1 years old that were giving me about an egg a day (I have 4 of them and I would get 3-4 eggs a day most days). Recently I've only been getting 2 eggs a day, for a few weeks now. Today only 1 egg. Their behavior seems normal. We did a few weeks ago section off part of their run to put some 12-week old chicks in. They aren't together, but in sight. We've also been getting an egg in the run almost every day. The only other thing I've noticed is that there is a squirrel that might be getting into the run (or at least trying to). So is the low production a response to the chicks and will that go away eventually? Or what else should I check? Thanks!

I have buff orps that are a little over 1 years old that were giving me about an egg a day (I have 4 of them and I would get 3-4 eggs a day most days). Recently I've only been getting 2 eggs a day, for a few weeks now. Today only 1 egg. Their behavior seems normal. We did a few weeks ago section off part of their run to put some 12-week old chicks in. They aren't together, but in sight. We've also been getting an egg in the run almost every day. The only other thing I've noticed is that there is a squirrel that might be getting into the run (or at least trying to). So is the low production a response to the chicks and will that go away eventually? Or what else should I check? Thanks!
Could be the squirrel is stealing them.

My hens are starting to slow in production after the spring increase. It's normal. My buffs sometimes lay consistently than they take breaks and become more sporadic, especially as it starts to warm up.

Back
Top Bottom