1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Low hanging fruit?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by martininoreston, Oct 18, 2014.

1. martininoreston

martininoreston Just Hatched

Oct 7, 2014
    Devon UK
    This was a DIY idea I had to use for vegetables and any old titbits that the Hens love. It is made from a chimney pot mesh - we use these in the UK to stop birds from nesting in the chimneys. I then used an old trampoline spring and a little old rope to suspend it..[​IMG][/IMG]

2. mtngirl35

mtngirl35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2013
    Tennessee
    I'm going to make something like that for my chickens. I bet they'll love it. Thanks for a great idea!

3. chicknshrimp

chicknshrimp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2014
    What a great idea, I bet they'll love it! Mine eat all the goodies too fast, that would keep them occupied much longer.

4. Eagleeyeice

Eagleeyeice Chillin' With My Peeps

That is a great DIY idea. Much better than putting it in a pan, and I'm sure I can find some old wire around to make a basket. And like was said it will give them something to do. Kinda like making them work for their food.[​IMG]

5. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    A longer term approach I have adopted is allowing between 50 and 100 persimmon trees to grow to fruiting size. The provide edible fruit for at least 45 days. Birds eat ground fall and I take select fruit from branches. Down side is most trees accessible only when birds free-ranging and some trees beyond current free-range area. Ground fall easy to collect and can be used to fill hanging baskets as shown in first post.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by