Low hatch rate

Cluckingworwoods

Hatching
Apr 23, 2023
Central, UT
I am new to incubation, we have tried two previous batches in a nurture 360. Our hatch rate is around 40%. My Temps and humidity are good, I have Calibrated etc. The embryos in the eggs seem to be dying around the second week. We are currently on the 3rd set of eggs in the incubator, from day 7 to day 14 there were 6 embryos that quit. Do you have any suggestions?

Hello! I have a Nurture Right 360 as well :D. It was my first one, and it’s my favorite incubator to use.

Make sure your temps and humidity are consistent. Do not wash, rub, or clean the eggs before setting. Often times high mortality rates are caused by improper handling before incubation. Make sure the eggs are tilted at a 45 degree angle, air cell (fat end) higher than pointy end of the egg. Store eggs at a temperature of approximately 60-65 degrees Fahrenheit (ideally) if you’re not ready to set right away. Let the eggs settle on their sides for several hours before putting them in the incubator.

Hope this helps!

i hardly ever have them quit mid-stream unless the temp has gone out 'or' they arnt getting turned .. both problems an incubator can sneak in on ya in unexpected ways .. just be sure is all im saying ..

The eggs are fresh from our own flock. Our hens are a little over a year old, same with our rooster. We store them room temperature on the counter with pointy end down. We have them 3 to 4 days before setting them in the incubator. We have used only clean eggs and have not washed them. We check on the incubator several times throughout the day and all 3 hygrometer read 99.5 to 100 degrees. Our humidity stays close to 50%. The auto egg Turner is also working properly.

I am new to incubation, we have tried two previous batches in a nurture 360. Our hatch rate is around 40%. My Temps and humidity are good, I have Calibrated etc. The embryos in the eggs seem to be dying around the second week. We are currently on the 3rd set of eggs in the incubator, from day 7 to day 14 there were 6 embryos that quit. Do you have any suggestions?
I have had the same results with the Nurture Right 360. I have been lucky to get 5 out of 22 eggs to hatch healthy with one hatched with deformity or incomplete and die. I've tried calibrating for all of the temp/humidity variables and finally just left it at factory default with no better results. Rooster to hen ratio his good for fertility rate, turned the eggs before setting and with a few hours to reach room temp. All the usual precautions.

This next hatch is due for lock down in a week using dry hatching method; no water with 23% -25% ambient humidity until lock down, then 55 to 60%. I read everyone else's great success but I'm not feelin' it. Wish me luck on the dry hatch.

I have had the same results with the Nurture Right 360. I have been lucky to get 5 out of 22 eggs to hatch healthy with one hatched with deformity or incomplete and die. I've tried calibrating for all of the temp/humidity variables and finally just left it at factory default with no better results. Rooster to hen ratio his good for fertility rate, turned the eggs before setting and with a few hours to reach room temp. All the usual precautions.

This next hatch is due for lock down in a week using dry hatching method; no water with 23% -25% ambient humidity until lock down, then 55 to 60%. I read everyone else's great success but I'm not feelin' it. Wish me luck on the dry hatch.
I wish I could have left all of my 100’s of hours of information about my in-depth study on this incubator on this post, but I got heavily criticized for doing so. Your best bet is going to be to buy some Govee thermometers so you can see just how bad this incubator really is and then try to adjust to maybe save the eggs you have now. Your second best bet is going to be to throw the incubator in the trash.

Last edited:
I wish I could have left all of my 100’s of hours of information about my in-depth study on this incubator on this post, but I got heavily criticized for doing so. Your best bet is going to be to buy some Govee thermometers so you can see just how bad this incubator really is and then try to adjust to maybe save the eggs you have now. They typically all start dying around day 12-14. Your second best bet is going to be to throw the incubator in the trash. It killed all of my very expensive eggs. But I think I’m supposed to be saying that it’s a fabulous machine that everyone should own so that no one will get angry with me. So there you have it! It’s a fabulous machine and any problem you might have with it is either a fluke, or you are doing something wrong.
People criticized you for free in-depth information? No gratitude, I guess.

Back
Top Bottom