low incubator temps

laughingllama75

Songster
11 Years
Feb 13, 2008
NH
I am ready to scream, I took out the turner yesteray (day 18) and FORGOT to go back and adjust the heater accordingly. I had a a couple over purchasing a couple llamas from me, so I got busy and that was at 2 pm. at 3:30 am, I woke up thinking about the bator' and went downstairs to check. It was at 97.3, and I candled the 13 eggs and saw movent in 2
sad.png

did I kill them or were they "sleeping". I went and read old posts on the subject, and my eyes tell me not to worry.....by my heart in screaming with fear that I killed them.
hit.gif

on day 17 they were all moving. help?
fl.gif

Get the temps back up and candle them tonight and see if you see movement. I have read where people have had fairly good hatches even when the power has gone out for many hours. So hopefully just a low temp will only delay your hatch a little.

fl.gif

Just get the temp back to where it should be, you will probly be just fine, that shouldnt kill them as we had a power outage here for 6 hours and it didnt affect the hatch what so ever, out of 90 some eggs only 4 didnt hatch. So your odds are very good.

Just let them go i wouldnt bother them now until they hatch, get your hum to where it should be for the hatch, they could also be late maybe...

Charlie

Last edited:
The motor of the turner produces heat and will increase the temp in the bator so when you take it out it also takes out that additional heat so you have to adjust your thermostat in the bator to compesate for it.

Quote:
I understand what you are saying, but the logic escapes me.

The wattage of those motors is tiny. In any event, forgetting would give her higher temps, not lower.

Either way, the thermostat would account for the marginal drop in heater output.

Need another explanation, but thanks.

Oops ... got the higher/lower thang mixed up
smile.png

Still .... the effect must surely be marginal, and well within the capacity of the thermostat to cope.

Back
Top Bottom