Low maintenance nesting material for holiday care

RedKell

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 24, 2014
North Western Australia
OK, as the title suggest I am after suggestions on what would be the best lowest maintenance material to use in the nest boxes and coop. I am going on holiday for 7 weeks, and my teenage daughter will be staying home looking after all the animals. While I am confident she will feed them etc, I have my doubts as to how often and how well she will clean out the coop.
I currently just use shredded paper in both. I can pull the paper out of the main coop, so she can just hose it out. What would be best in the nest boxes?
Suggestions please :) Thanks

Better training for the daughter is the easiest solution for ya.
wink.png

what would be the best lowest maintenance material to use in the nest boxes and coop.
Nest boxes
In my nest boxes I fold a feed bag to fit (nest boxes are 1 ft³). When a bag gets soiled; fold a new one; pop out the soiled; pop in the new. Feed bags are a nylon mesh bag frozen poop just peels off in below freezing temperatures and just flakes off in summer when left out in the sun to bake and dry.

Nest boxes
In my nest boxes I fold a feed bag to fit (nest boxes are 1 ft³). When a bag gets soiled; fold a new one; pop out the soiled; pop in the new. Feed bags are a nylon mesh bag frozen poop just peels off in below freezing temperatures and just flakes off in summer when left out in the sun to bake and dry.

Are you using anything else on top of the bag? straw, hay?

Back
Top Bottom