Low temps in lock down with Hovabator 1588

barrelmom

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 28, 2010
I have a Hovabator Genesis 1588 with an automatic turner. I set 16 eggs on January 5th. My temps have remained steady (99.5-99.7) throughout the first 18 days. I have 12 eggs that went into lock down yesterday. Since removing the turner, the temp has never climbed higher than 97.8? My humidity is about 71%, but it just doesn't seem like the temp is going to get any higher. We haven't opened the top at all, but I am confused about what is going on? The only thing I am thinking is that my thermometer is sitting on the wire now during lock down and was sitting on top of the turner during the first 18 days - perhaps this is what it was measuring on the wire all along?

Should I do anything to try to increase the temps?

The 1588 is preprogrammed out of the box for the correct temp. If it has been holding strong for you during the first 18 days, I'd say there is an issue with your thermometer considering your bator is in a draft free location. If it were me, I'd open the bator long enough to move the thermometer and see if that helps. Is it the thermometer that came with the bator? Most of the time those are inaccurate. Use a medical thermometer that you trust to verify the temp. I have a 1588 and I've never had to change the temp setting. I hope this helps.

Hi,

No, I have a digital thermometer/hygrometer that I purchased from incubator warehouse. I calibrated both the temp and the humidity and it is reading true. I've been really pleased with the temps during the first part of incubation so I hope it's just a matter of thermometer placement during lock down.

I have one also..mine did this too for a bit and i wrapped a blanket around mine also. I also moved my thermometer and that seemed to then read correct? I blindly trust my genesis for both tmp and humidity...

Not sure which type digital thermometer you have. If it is one with a probe, you are probably OK. If it is the type that does not have a probe but the entire mechanism is in the incubator, the high humidity inside the incubator can cause the thermometer to go off. Of course, I don't see how you could calibrate the thermometer if it is not a probe type.

I also have a 1588. Using the factory setting, mine runs hot. Those factory settings are not always spot on. I've had to adjust mine down.

You can try wrapping it with a blanket, more to protect against drafts but it will also provide some more insulation. Since it is a forced air, you should be reading the same temperature all over it. A still air is different. I would not open it at this point due to the change in humidity that causes. I think you will be OK even if the temperatures truly have dropped a bit.

This affects humidity more than temperature on mine, but one time I did not get the top back on the incubator correctly when I added water. The turner cord got out of the groove. Mine could handle that from a temperature standpoint but the humidity was a bit low. Is your lid on tight?

Back
Top Bottom