Low wattage Red light, or High heat paint

BawkinOnTheBench

Songster
11 Years
Jun 13, 2008
UT
I want to be able to put a low wattage red bulb in the fall this year, when my babies (currently 4 weeks old) are big enough to go into a coop outside. I haven't been able to find any red bulbs lower than a 100 watt flood - that's what I'm using in my brooder, so I know thats way too hot. Tried Walmart, Home Depot, Lowe's. Someone in a brooder thread mentioned painting a regular bulb with high heat paint - but none of those stores have that in red either.

Does anyone have any ideas of what kind of stores would carry either a 25 or 40 watt red bulb, or red high heat paint?

I'm pretty new to the chicken world, but I thought I saw a low watt red bulb at PetSmart a couple of weeks ago. It was in the reptile supplies area.

Now I'm curious... guess I'll look when I'm down there for dog food today. We're getting much cooler weather earlier than usual and I've been thinking about getting a red lamp bulb for the girls.

Try a camera shop. They are used in darkrooms...if anyone still does that in this digital age.
smile.png

Well, try this on for size... I restored an old 1950's lamp to go with my 1930's wood lathe. I sprayed the auto engine paint on it that you suggest. I had a 60 watt bulb in the lamp and when left on for a day it burned the paint off the metal shade of the lamp! This was not the bulb itself, but the metal shade! I would suggest against it myself.

That's funny - around here, Walmart and Canadian Tire and pretty much any large store with lotsa lightbulbs has 40 watt red bulbs. Just regular bulbs, not floodlight style. I think they are for parties? Anyhow, just make sure you're looking in the regular lightbulbs too.

I would question whether engine etc paint would be translucent enough, thermal stability and safety aside. I mean, it's meant to go on as an opaque coat...

Good luck,

Pat

Our grocery stores have "party lights" too they are 40 watt, (green, red, blue) I use them as night lights in my boys room.
Maybe you can try a walmart or target or a hardware supply?

Wish I could be more help! Good luck!

Red lights actually calm the chickens down so they can sleep better. And it seems to reduce picking and stress....

That is what I have always been told and it seems to work for me.
I know the 250 watt and can be too much for a small brooder.
The pet shops have lower wattage red heat bulbs.

A regular red light bulb would not put out enough heat..

Back
Top Bottom