1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lowering egg cholesterol levels?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mudhen, Feb 14, 2007.

1. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    Thought it might be interesting to get feedback on this topic.
    About thirty :)o) years ago, my dad brought home a small flock of araucanas, having been convinced that these chickens layed low cholesterol eggs. (We just enjoyed the fresh eggs!)

I began to research this just a couple of years ago and found nothing that states this to be true.
    What I have found however, is the following:
    Apparently, the key to getting a lower cholesterol egg is to add fish meal to the chicken feed. This increases the Omega-3 fatty acids in the eggs. Also, feeding an all vegetable diet, with canola oil as the fat source, has been cited as helping reduce the cholesterol level in eggs.

Has anyone ever come across any other information on this topic? Does anyone actually add fish meal to the chicken feed to achieve this?

2. V Chic Chick

V Chic Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bristol, England
    Araucanas lay normal eggs with a different coloured shell [​IMG]

It's actually not the cholestorol in your diet that ups your cholestorol levels, but the amount of fat, so eggs arent' really a worry for me, or my mum (who has rampantly high cholestorol).

3. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I have a article that shows free-range eggs have half the cholesterol, are higher in vitamins and omega 3's.

I make copys of the article and give them to egg customers.

Just scroll down a little to the good egg article, its well worth reading!

http://www.motherearthnews.com/eggs/testing

Love my homegrown eggs.

bigzio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by