Lowest low is 70. When can I move my RIR chicks to the coop?

I agree they should be perfectly fine without heat at this point, day or night.

Have you gotten a temperature reading inside the coop? I'd worry more about heat exhaustion than being cold, since you mention wanting to confine them to the coop, but I don't know what style of coop you have.

Kudos on the grammar! I rarely see anyone using this proper sentence structure. :clap
Thank you. :)

I’m not immune to committing my share of grammar misdemeanors. Although when reading social media I instantly pick out the misuse of there-their-they’re and completely lose my train of thought. So annoying!
:smack

I agree they should be perfectly fine without heat at this point, day or night.

Have you gotten a temperature reading inside the coop? I'd worry more about heat exhaustion than being cold, since you mention wanting to confine them to the coop, but I don't know what style of coop you have.
Heat exhaustion is certainly a concern in the summer. Right now, no, because the highs are 85. Our coop has a large 8x2 window of hardcloth on the front and open areas on the soffits (hardcloth covered) on two sides and opposite the large window between the roof and siding. It is also under trees. The birds can go under the coop for shade or behind it--that part is always in shadow from the coop, trees, and a tall fence. They won't be confined in the coop during hot times -- just temporarily while they get older and bigger. It has cooled here considerably though highs in the 90s will return.

With those temperatures and that ventilation they will be fine day and night. If more people could watch a broody hen in action they'd feel a lot more comfortable about what temperatures the chicks really need. I had a hen wean her chicks at three weeks in similar temperatures, those chicks were fine on their own.

Back
Top Bottom