Lowest Nighttime Temperature to Leave Coop Door Open

LFord6754

In the Brooder
Sep 8, 2015
I'm curious, at what nighttime temperature do you close your coop door at night? I have a small coop with an attached run (predator proof). I've been closing the coop door if the nighttime low is below 40 degrees but I feel bad that my girls are stuck inside until I can get out there in the morning to open the door for them. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

40 is nothing.
As long as there's not a howling wind blowing thru it, I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Fantastic, thank you! I only got my chickens in September so this is all a learning process for me. I appreciate your help.

I leave the whole front of my coop open, all winter. So you can leave the pop door open. I get temps to 0 F, and sometimes a bit lower, and my birds don't have any problems. Right now, with the mild weather(Mid thirties, at the lowest) we've had here, my coop is still in summer ventilation mode, everything is open.

900x900px-LL-f52d3bc5_55557_img_1349.jpeg

Last edited:
Wow, I never would have thought they could survive that. Great information, thank you!

My coop is similar to JackE's (although not nearly so nice).

We go down to about 5 degrees occasionally down here (usually lows in the teens and 20s in the winter though) - and I don't worry about the birds. The real worry is wind, or them going outside in freezing rain. If they're dry, then can handle some pretty low temps as long as theres not wind blowing their feathers up.

I leave the whole front of my coop open, all winter. So you can leave the pop door open. I get temps to 0 F, and sometimes a bit lower, and my birds don't have any problems. Right now, with the mild weather(Mid thirties, at the lowest) we've had here, my coop is still in summer ventilation mode, everything is open.

900x900px-LL-f52d3bc5_55557_img_1349.jpeg

Same coop as Jack's. We've been to -17 (NOT including the WIND) I didn't sleep at all for the worry, but they were fine! They're out there now stomping in the snow.

Keep in mind I have cold hearty, and hardened, breeds and keep them out of the wind and make sure they are well fed before bedtime. Heading down to 12 tonight.

Back
Top Bottom