lowest on totem pole, my sweetie is getting beat up!

Jster

Songster
12 Years
Dec 11, 2007
Our very sweetest chicken is the lowest in the pecking order, and it shows. The other chickens don't let her sleep near them, and during the day she is often by herself as well. Our chickens came in three batches: 3 sexlinks (now two), 2 leghorns (joined us as laying hens), and then 5 mixed, she's part of the last group and grew up with them. Among the younger ones, they'll hang out with her, but when we let them free range Sweetie stays by the door of our house rather than roaming about. She seems to enjoy her friends when they are nearby. But she gets especially picked on by the older chickens.

Is there anything I can do about this? We give her lots of attention, but it's probably not the same thing. She seems just like a poor little loner, and very submissive, I've never seen her stand up for herself in the slightest. What have others done to protect their less popular chickens?

(oh, and we have some eggs under a broody right now, so the mixup might change soon so long as the city decides not to restrict the number of chickens we're allowed...we'll just have to see about that).

Adding any new chickens will change the dynamics of the house. Sometimes for the better! I am glad she is not getting beaten physically though. (Am I correct in thinking that?) I have had to remove and seperate due to physical picking. I hope all works out. Someone will come along with some great advice, I am sure! Good Luck jster

She's a barred rock, and rather small (has been since a chick). They peck her comb (sometimes cause bleeding) and around her eye (recently, they made her eye water). I'm sure it's not fun for her. She's just started molting, along with the other barred rock we have, and I'll check for bugs but I haven't seen any. She has a few boils on her comb and wattles from fowl pox that's clearing up, so that might be causing some problems, but they don't seem to peck there specifically.

Ohhh! The poor baby! I wish I had more advice for you. I am kinda new to this thing, having just started my own flock. The only problem I have had is with a roo that I had to remove (seperate). He kept attacking the new pullets I put in with him. He is still in solitary.
sad.png
Maybe when you add the new chicks things will change for her. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom