Lowest temp dip and successful hatch?

rthensley

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 20, 2009
I had 10 bantam eggs in an LG still-air incubator.

Lock down was scheduled for late in the afternoon on 4-15-11.

When I got home from work on 4-15-11 our power was out and the temp in the incubator was 73 degrees. No idea how long the power had been out, but it had been out long enough for the temp to drop that low.

While I am scrambling around trying to figure out what to do, the power comes back on. I decide to continue the hatch. I remove the turner, add water, and get my temp back up.

I had no belief that I would get any eggs to hatch. I peek in the incubator yesterday and see one chick working its way out of a shell. Could not believe it.

Today is day 21 so it will be interesting to see if I get more to hatch. I doubt it, but you never know.

I was just curious how low someone's incubator temp dropped to and you still had eggs hatch.

I think mine's been down in the 70s at one point and still hatched, but it wasnt as good of a hatch rate as I'd hoped and thats probably why.

Its definently worth continuing to incubate. You don't want to pull the plug on them

day 10 I unplugged the wrong baore. When I got home and went to turn eggs, I realized my mistake. Eggs were down to 65 or so I hatched them this weeken. I had 3 or 4 that quit at that time. I had two that did not hatch and had to cull 1 with bad feet. I do not kneo if this was realted or not. The rest of the chicks hacthed right on schedule, to maybe 5 hrs late. I also have a friend who bator quit at 3 day. He though he had it fixed and then it broke again. so eggs were up and down in temp from maybe 97 to 65 for 2 days. When we candels at 14 day thier were 3 clear/ 3 weith possible blod ring and the rest lokked good(48 set) He will hatch on wed, figure an extra day fo the temp messup. These were all fresh eggs, from his flock and mine, lees than 2 days old at setting. They can take a lot, but would expect some not make it. Ok time to change to reg glasses so I don't have the typo(darn safety glasses)

Last edited:
I had a four-hour power outage at day 8-9 that dropped it down to 70 degrees, and four out of fourteen hatched. The egg turner quit mid-cycle though so a few of those deaths may have been due to that.

Back
Top Bottom